Everyone or should I say health conscious ppl are trying to be gluten free and vegan. Have been realizing lot of Indian recipes can be vegan and gluten free with just few changes.
- Ragda is made of dry white peas. Insta pot here will do the job.
- Pattice is made of potatoes.
- We top with date, tamarind sauce and coriander chutney, onion, tomatoes.
- Skip sev and yogurt on top. Sev is made of besan so gluten free but unless you make at home , you don’t know what all it is made if. Without it, it still taste good and very feeling because of peas.
We have to make things work for us instead of complaining. Isn’t it?
Hiker friends love boiled peanuts and we call boiled peanut lovers squirrels now. So I have been making them for few years now for our hikes. Now with insta pot they are much easier to make. Here’s how I made them in 6 quarter insta pot.
- Soak raw dry peanuts for 10-12 hrs in insta pot only with trivet that comes with it on so that they stay in water else they will float.
Rinse and add fresh water, salt. Needs lot of salt. You can taste water and it should taste good salty. You can also add spices you like.
Pressure cook on high for 50 mins. And let it release naturally.
Taste and if salt is less , add more and cook for a minute and natural release again so it has time to absorb more salt.
Fun healthy snack to relax and chit chat with friends.
If you have green peanuts (lucky you) then no need to soak. It should be done in 25-30 minutes.
Peanuts are gluten free. So this is vegan gluten free snack. It will keep you full for a long time too.
Khamani is generally loaded with oil but it doesn’t need to be . You can make it healthy ,tasty and can enjoy for breakfast. Here’s my variation.
- Soak Chana dal for 3-4 hrs . Chana dal is rich in protein and fiber.
- Grind coarse or I just blended in magic bullet with little water. Batter should be like khaman like thick but liquid.
- Add salt and baking soda or eno and steam for 12-15 mins.
- Heat coconut oil and be little generous here but not too generous either. Add mustard seeds, paste of ginger and extra garlic, green chili paste . Sauté , add hing.
- Add steamed khaman , crumble . Use potato masher if needed. If it’s too dry, sprinkle water or some kind of milk. 2-3 tbsp to make it soft and moist.
- Add sugar, lemon juice according to your taste . Add golden raisin and cashew nuts.
- Serve in a bowl sprinkled with flax powder , cilantro. Use shredded coconut if you have it . Or you can add some coconut butter too on top.
- Garnish with cilantro and pomegranate seeds . Skip sev.
- Isn’t it a good breakfast?
Today is 5th day of fast and so far so good. I posted this potato banana cutlet recipe long back and forgot abt it . Made yesterday and today again. It is so tasty and you don’t need to fast to enjoy it . Sabudana I feel is the worst thing to eat during fast and so I stay away from it . Deep fried food kills the purpose of fasting. You want to eat simple meal with less ingredients. If you find yourself spending too much time making meals then you are feasting.
I also made Kheer with Samo rice. Kheer would have been better with Amaranth seeds/Rajgira but I forgot to cook it in advance. Rajgira has more protein I think.
Oh and I have to tell this to you readers. In India, they say god takes your test and today I was tested on my fasting. There was a lunch plan for colleague retiring and I wasn’t sure abt going since I can’t eat. But good friend that my colleague is, convinced me to just come and enjoy everyone’s company. So I went and enjoyed and all the food, smell didn’t bother me at all. I was perfectly fine sipping water. God never test you before you are ready I guess.
Alright , enough of drama. Try cutlet fasting or not fasting.
It would be nice to hear if you tried some ideas from justlunchideas .
Here’s the simple cutlet link;
Barnyard Millet Also Known as Bhaggar , Samo rice in India. It’s generally eaten during fast since it’s easy to digest. Even if you are not fasting , you can eat this and it taste good. Good to take to work for lunch.
I just sauté vegetables , add spices , cashews and added cooked Millet to it . Millet cooks just like rice. Very simple. You can make it like Chinese fried rice too. It’s gluten free, vegan .