Picture is bad .. I know but it will serve the purpose. We all have our favorite food and food that we grew up eating. Most of the ppl think that what we grew up eating was so healthy. Well, let’s not go into that today.
Dosa With chutney is favorite among us Indians and easy, quick to make . To make it a well rounded meal, I added some steamed broccoli on the side . Takes 3 mins to steam and adds a lots of wonderful things. Sprinkle some salt and fresh lemon juice .
Dosa or pancake is made with mixture of brown rice and different dals. Soak it for 3-4 hrs , grind, add salt and cumin seeds. Batter ready. I soaked it before leaving for yoga class . Come home after few hrs and i can grind .
Roasted raw peanuts in toaster oven and made some peanut chutney. Oven roasted peanuts taste really good and it’s so easy to roast. Try if you have never done.
Easy breezy well rounded lunch. You can also roast cauliflower in oven for a side dish. Roasted cauliflower tastes good too. Or any seasonal vegetables. Roast or steam. Some taste good roasted and some steamed. Find what you like and what works for you.
Dhebra is gujarati bread made with pearl millet and wheat flour adding some methi leaves , curd and spices. Instead of deep frying I just roast them on skillet. From the left over I made hummus sandwich. Very simple. No need of recipe. Spread hummus , put some tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, mango , lettuce whatever you have . Sprinkle salt and pepper . Yum !
You can make baby ones too if you make small dhebra. Looks cute and easy to eat. Or make big dhebra which will be hard because millet doesn’t have gluten so hard to roll big. Let’s stick with baby ones.😀
Be creative . You can use thepla too. I prefer dhebra over breads , tortillas. You can also cut dhebras in triangle to eat with hummus instead of pita. Enough ideas with dhebra. How are you gonna eat them ?
One of my favorite activity is browse recipes , cooking videos since I like to try new ingredients, new ways or healthy ways to cook. I saw recipe of Thai peanut sauce and not finding now but I made using almond butter. It’s a 1 pot simple meal but yummy and good to take to work for lunch. Here’s how I made:
- Heat olive oil and sauté chopped garlic, add little ginger too.
- Add chopped onion, veggies you like. I added lots of them like chopped carrot ,colored pepper, zucchini, bok choy. Season with salt and crushed black pepper.
- Add vegetable stock and then spoonful of almond butter. Let it boil.
- Add some protein. I added tofu but you can add some chickpeas or any beans you like.
- Add soba noodles, cover and cook.
- If you like soupy then add more stock .
- Once done, add some crushed chili pepper and lemon or lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro. You can also add some almonds or peanuts for crunch.
- I love that it only needs 1 pot and to eat also just 1 bowl. And goodness of all veggies.
Easy breezy sunny breakfast. Remember brown coconut I buy and store pieces in freezer? They are so useful . Coconut milk is very tasty and easy to make at home if you have coconut and it’s easy to find coconut now a days . Mango is also everywhere now. Here’s how i made it:
- Take few coconut pieces in blender, add some warm water and blend. Now strain.
- Take a bowl with chia seeds, add your coconut milk, add some left over pulp back. Fiber is good. And you will have some coconut pieces to chew. Remember digestion starts in mouth.
- Add fresh chopped mango.
- That’s it. Skip extra sweetener.
- We got so used to everything extra sweet that we don’t taste natural sweetness.
- You can mix coconut and chia at night and just add mango in the morning .
- Sometimes I take this to work for a breakfast.
Everything we do is abt life and can teach us something new. As I was making Buckwheat bread , and had realized you can only add little bit Buckwheat flour because it has strong chalky taste. I was contemplating why I should bother adding little. Jesus came to rescue and realized that we don’t need more of everything. It just has become our tendency to have everything more which includes more money, more cars , more status … list is endless.
Same way, to make life happier or to start with a day, we just need to spend 5 mins everyday doing something we enjoy. Whatever it is that you enjoy.
So made banana bread happily just the way I usually make . But replaced 1/4 th flour with Buckwheat and it made a huge difference and bread taste more wholesome.
Do you spend 5 mins a day doing things you enjoy? Start now.