Steamed orange is a Chinese remedy for cough google says. It tasted so good that you can eat any day. Try if it appeals to you. Here’s how you do it.
- Soak orange in salted water for 15 mins and then rinse.
- Cut the top little bit.
- Scrape surface little bit and sprinkle salt. Try to push salt in. Be careful with salt else it will become to salty.
- Put the top back and steam for 15-20 mins.
- Let it cool little bit and remove skin. Take the pulp and mix that water from the bowl.
- Nice hot bowl of orange and it looks to pretty.
- I think adding little ginger before steaming and some honey after it’s steamed will make it very tasty dessert.
- Try it out with that orange sitting on the counter.
- Enjoy !
Spinach is another vegetable I end up buying all the time and then have to come up with new ways to use it . I throw spinach in all italian , Chinese dishes and dals. Saw this new Bengali way of making it. I used what I had so really not authentic but tasted good and it was a new way for me.
- I used vegetables I had like Radish , baby potatoes, carrot. You can add white daikon radish , egg plant , green beans , papadi or whatever you want to use .
- Heat mustard oil and season with panch phoron. I just used mustard seeds, cumin seeds and methi seeds. Add red chili.
- Add vegetables that needs longer cooking. Season with salt and let them cook.
- Add chopped spinach, green chili, turmeric powder , chili powder and salt.
- You can also add Vadi which I did but I didn’t like vadi in it.
- There’s not much spices in this and all flavors are from different vegetables.
- Try and see if you like it too.
Cauliflower is in season now and so you will see nice fresh ones everywhere in store. I end up buying every time and have to come up with new ways. This is another very simple and quick way to make . Make just enough that will be eaten up .
- Cut cauliflower in medium size florets and wash it well.
- Heat oil and crack some cumin seeds . Be little generous with cumin seeds and oil here. Cumin seeds give nice flavor in this dish.
- Throw cauliflower in it and add dry spices. I used turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, ginger, garlic powder and salt. Mix well, cover and cook.
- It will cook in its own water and stir in between . Do not add water.
- It takes only few minutes since cauliflower cooks quickly. Over cooked will turn too soft and will have sulfur smell.
- Garnish with either kasoori methi or cilantro leaves.
- It’s very tasty and good spicy.
- So why do we add all this spices? Besides making it tasty , cauliflower causes gas just like beans so adding garlic , ginger helps with digestion.
If you are in restaurant business, you should know how to serve food . At Indian restaurants, they give pile of white rice and if it’s take out, curry portion is so small. How do you expect ppl to eat plain white rice ? Is that how they eat at home ? And then ppl end up throwing away rice. Why waste all that rice ?
I generally tell servers to give me little rice and no rice if I am not gonna eat it . Y’day I ordered take out and then to my horror so much white rice . I decided to keep it and then made vegetable fried rice .
I don’t like throwing away the food but if it’s not good , throw it away . Use your own judgement. I throw rotten vegetables in garden for worms . They are no good for my stomach.
What steps you take to not waste food ?
At Middle Eastern restaurants I always noticed roasted cauliflower pitas but I never order. I decided to make it at home after seeing it’s recipe here:
I used spring mix, reddish, beetroot and tomatoes to fill in along with roasted cauliflower and potatoes. Roast more cauliflower and potatoes because you will end up eating them on the side since it taste so good by itself . I love roasted cauliflower.