No one wants to buy what I want to buy at store so good for me. Went to grocery store and saw a bag Of locally produced mustard greens so cheap and it looked so fresh. Top of it, No one in fresh vegetable area. Score … I bought some and made it right away.
Plenty of greens you see in spring at store generally but this year it’s all different. Greens are good to eat in spring . I am only eating cooked though this year.
Made Indian way mixed with some spinach I had and homemade paneer . It was so tasty. You can sauté with some spinach and throw some chick peas into it. It will taste good.
Fall is here and so does all kind of winter squashes. As weather changes , we should fast , make changes to our diet too. Try to include all different kind of squashes , pumpkins in diet now but leave the sugar out . Make simple roasted ,steamed or soup recipes. This simple curry I made is very tasty. Recipe here:
Winter squashes are hard to cut and today I bought big knife thinking it will help cut squash. But still it was hard and took good amt of time . Either cut it when you have free time or buy precut ones. I know microwaving will help cut but I don’t like to microwave my vegetables when trying to get nutrition.
Find a simple way to enjoy all winter squashes that works for you.
On recent chardham trip, @ Badarinath hotel ,kathal/Jackfruit masala was on buffet and we all just ate that and ignored rest of the buffet items. Since then I wanted to make it. I had tried it years before using canned jackfruit but I didn’t like taste of canned. This time I found in frozen section at Indian store . Some places it’s available fresh too if you are willing to do all the work to cut it.
It looks like chicken , isn’t it ? Since it’s a fruit , it will have little protein.
Followed nishmadhurika ‘s recipe from YouTube. It’s very simple and easy to make it.
- Cool raw jackfruit for 1 whistle .
- Heat oil, crack cumin seeds . Add ginger , garlic , green chili paste. Sauté and add turmeric powder , red chili powder, coriander powder , salt.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Use generous amt of tomatoes to make it taste good.
- Cook tomatoes few minutes only leaving little crunch.
- Add boiled jackfruit, adjust salt. Mix, mash some . Add garam masala, Amchoor powder.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Yum ! Next I will make biryani.
Spinach is another vegetable I end up buying all the time and then have to come up with new ways to use it . I throw spinach in all italian , Chinese dishes and dals. Saw this new Bengali way of making it. I used what I had so really not authentic but tasted good and it was a new way for me.
- I used vegetables I had like Radish , baby potatoes, carrot. You can add white daikon radish , egg plant , green beans , papadi or whatever you want to use .
- Heat mustard oil and season with panch phoron. I just used mustard seeds, cumin seeds and methi seeds. Add red chili.
- Add vegetables that needs longer cooking. Season with salt and let them cook.
- Add chopped spinach, green chili, turmeric powder , chili powder and salt.
- You can also add Vadi which I did but I didn’t like vadi in it.
- There’s not much spices in this and all flavors are from different vegetables.
- Try and see if you like it too.