Spinach is another vegetable I end up buying all the time and then have to come up with new ways to use it . I throw spinach in all italian , Chinese dishes and dals. Saw this new Bengali way of making it. I used what I had so really not authentic but tasted good and it was a new way for me.
- I used vegetables I had like Radish , baby potatoes, carrot. You can add white daikon radish , egg plant , green beans , papadi or whatever you want to use .
- Heat mustard oil and season with panch phoron. I just used mustard seeds, cumin seeds and methi seeds. Add red chili.
- Add vegetables that needs longer cooking. Season with salt and let them cook.
- Add chopped spinach, green chili, turmeric powder , chili powder and salt.
- You can also add Vadi which I did but I didn’t like vadi in it.
- There’s not much spices in this and all flavors are from different vegetables.
- Try and see if you like it too.
Cauliflower is in season now and so you will see nice fresh ones everywhere in store. I end up buying every time and have to come up with new ways. This is another very simple and quick way to make . Make just enough that will be eaten up .
- Cut cauliflower in medium size florets and wash it well.
- Heat oil and crack some cumin seeds . Be little generous with cumin seeds and oil here. Cumin seeds give nice flavor in this dish.
- Throw cauliflower in it and add dry spices. I used turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, ginger, garlic powder and salt. Mix well, cover and cook.
- It will cook in its own water and stir in between . Do not add water.
- It takes only few minutes since cauliflower cooks quickly. Over cooked will turn too soft and will have sulfur smell.
- Garnish with either kasoori methi or cilantro leaves.
- It’s very tasty and good spicy.
- So why do we add all this spices? Besides making it tasty , cauliflower causes gas just like beans so adding garlic , ginger helps with digestion.
Indian diet is high on rice and wheat so I like to break it and use other things regularly. That doesn’t mean white bread though. This dhokli is made of bajra/millet. There’s little wheat flour but that’s ok. It tasted pretty good and with a salad or some steamed/roasted vegetables on the side , will make a good meal. I wasn’t too hungry after having a big “prasad” god sent me today for lunch.:-)
Here’s the recipe. It’s very simple to make. I skipped sugar.
Karela spree is still going on. I never had this many Karelas in my whole life. But I am enjoying them. A friend gave me some home grown nice tender karelas and so i made them again and since they were small, perfect for stuff recipe.
I steamed them little bit after removing seeds from inside. Stuffing I made different way. It was kind of powder and so quick to make it.
- Powder some dalia in coffee grinder and take them in a bowl.
- Add some dry coconut powder.
- Add dry spices you like and salt.
- Stuff Karela with stuffing and I pan fried them in little mustard oil.
- Yum. Easy breezy side dish.
Where do I start? Karela and yummy seems strange but this is really yummy. I don’t like something so bitter but I do enjoy hint of bitterness. Even in life , your words if they have a hint of bitter I can enjoy but not something totally bitter for absolutely no reason. But bitter has anti viral, anti bacterial property too so very bitter is needed in those cases.
There are so many different variations of stuffed Karela online so pick the way you like. Mostly everyone uses some besan to stuff Karela. This is how I made it and they turned out the way I like it: hint of bitterness and good stuff stuffed inside .
- Take tender Indian Karela . Scrape the surface , put a slit on skin and remove inside seeds and clean it. Take scrapes and tender white seeds and add some salt. Let it sit for an hr and the squeeze water out from it . That will remove bitterness also.
- Steam Karela for 4-5 mins depending on size. Be careful and do not overdo it. Underdone is better than overdone.
- Heat coconut oil and crack cumin seeds . Add pinch of hing if you have it. Also some fennel seeds.
- Add scrape and seeds. Sauté for a min or two.
- Add chickpea flour and roast it properly. Add more oil if needed.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, cumin-coriander powder and salt. I added chat masala too.
- Let the mixture cool down and then add some dry coconut powder. You can add sesame seeds or powder too.
- Stuff the Karelas , tie them with cooking thread .
- Heat coconut oil in a nonstick pan and cook karelas turning all sides.
- Time to taste. Lovely.
- Share with everyone around you.