On recent chardham trip, @ Badarinath hotel ,kathal/Jackfruit masala was on buffet and we all just ate that and ignored rest of the buffet items. Since then I wanted to make it. I had tried it years before using canned jackfruit but I didn’t like taste of canned. This time I found in frozen section at Indian store . Some places it’s available fresh too if you are willing to do all the work to cut it.
It looks like chicken , isn’t it ? Since it’s a fruit , it will have little protein.
Followed nishmadhurika ‘s recipe from YouTube. It’s very simple and easy to make it.
- Cool raw jackfruit for 1 whistle .
- Heat oil, crack cumin seeds . Add ginger , garlic , green chili paste. Sauté and add turmeric powder , red chili powder, coriander powder , salt.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Use generous amt of tomatoes to make it taste good.
- Cook tomatoes few minutes only leaving little crunch.
- Add boiled jackfruit, adjust salt. Mix, mash some . Add garam masala, Amchoor powder.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Yum ! Next I will make biryani.
Spinach is another vegetable I end up buying all the time and then have to come up with new ways to use it . I throw spinach in all italian , Chinese dishes and dals. Saw this new Bengali way of making it. I used what I had so really not authentic but tasted good and it was a new way for me.
- I used vegetables I had like Radish , baby potatoes, carrot. You can add white daikon radish , egg plant , green beans , papadi or whatever you want to use .
- Heat mustard oil and season with panch phoron. I just used mustard seeds, cumin seeds and methi seeds. Add red chili.
- Add vegetables that needs longer cooking. Season with salt and let them cook.
- Add chopped spinach, green chili, turmeric powder , chili powder and salt.
- You can also add Vadi which I did but I didn’t like vadi in it.
- There’s not much spices in this and all flavors are from different vegetables.
- Try and see if you like it too.
Cauliflower is in season now and so you will see nice fresh ones everywhere in store. I end up buying every time and have to come up with new ways. This is another very simple and quick way to make . Make just enough that will be eaten up .
- Cut cauliflower in medium size florets and wash it well.
- Heat oil and crack some cumin seeds . Be little generous with cumin seeds and oil here. Cumin seeds give nice flavor in this dish.
- Throw cauliflower in it and add dry spices. I used turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, ginger, garlic powder and salt. Mix well, cover and cook.
- It will cook in its own water and stir in between . Do not add water.
- It takes only few minutes since cauliflower cooks quickly. Over cooked will turn too soft and will have sulfur smell.
- Garnish with either kasoori methi or cilantro leaves.
- It’s very tasty and good spicy.
- So why do we add all this spices? Besides making it tasty , cauliflower causes gas just like beans so adding garlic , ginger helps with digestion.
Indian diet is high on rice and wheat so I like to break it and use other things regularly. That doesn’t mean white bread though. This dhokli is made of bajra/millet. There’s little wheat flour but that’s ok. It tasted pretty good and with a salad or some steamed/roasted vegetables on the side , will make a good meal. I wasn’t too hungry after having a big “prasad” god sent me today for lunch.:-)
Here’s the recipe. It’s very simple to make. I skipped sugar.