Who doesn’t love potatoes ? And still we all try to avoid potatoes. If your diet is heavy on potatoes and rice … hmm you know it all. Once in a while it’s ok to have your favorite potatoe curry. I don’t add potatoes to okra, tindora or any subji. We all grew up eating potatoes in every subji but remember it was because cooks tried to save money on vegetables and so buy little vegetables and add potatoes so you can feed more mouths. But now that’s not the case and plenty of vegetables are available and most of the ppl can afford . If you have to save money, save somewhere else not on eating fresh vegetables and fruits. Remember health is wealth. Here’s how I made this curry.
- Heat oil and crack mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- Add fresh chopped tomatoes and cook.
- Add ginger , garlic and all dry spices.
- Add chopped boiled potatoes , salt and mix well.
- Add some water and let it boil.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Have it with roti and of course side of a salad .
Are you the kind of adult who has to drink milk every day? Do you know what all kind of dairy products you eat everyday not realizing it’s after all dairy? All that butter , cheese , ghee ladden sweets, paneer etc etc. Hope you got the idea. Then try to go vegan for a week and see how you feel just for an experiment. Be your own judge and don’t cheat yourself. Be honest to self. Well, I thought of doing it myself but I hardly eat dairy. Only half cup milk as part of tea.
Am not paneer or dairy fan so my palak paneer always is without paneer. Everyone knows to throw chickpeas in it but Lima beans tasted really good. Here’s my simple vegan recipe.
- Heat peanut , coconut or olive oil and crack few cumin seeds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook it well.
- Add your spices and sauté for few seconds.
- Add fresh cooked spinach purée. I used fresh spinach bunch .
- Add cooked Lima beans and simmer on medium heat for few minutes.
- Simple , isn’t it? Tasted really good.
- If you are trying to diet, add more water and make it more soupy.
Summer is almost here and if you end up with lot of cucumbers either from garden or store and tired of salad, sandwiches here’s 1 more idea. Cook it with spices. Here’s my recipe:
- Heat oil and crack few mustard seeds and methi seeds.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped cucumber. Remove skin if it’s too thick.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, cumin-coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add some crushed raw peanuts. It will get cooked with cucumber. If you have roasted peanut , then add at the end when cucumber is all cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Makes a good side dish to go with roti.
Have you ever noticed drumstick looks like bone? No wonder it’s good for bone health. It’s rich in calcium and other nutrients. Drumstick leaves are nutritious too and rich in calcium if you find them. Here once in a while Indian store will have fresh one else it’s frozen.
I cooked them with eggplant and pigeon peas. You can put them in Dal , sambhar too. If you don’t know how to eat them, you suck them to eat pulp inside them.It’s yummy.
All ppl who are trying to add more calcium to diet, there are many calcium sources other than dairy.
Bitter gourd has lot of benefits and amazingly older ppl don’t mind eating them. They have been used to eating it. Most of us don’t eat now a days. Lot of ppl don’t even know what bitter taste is like. But when Indians get diabetics, they start using it. It’s a good vegetable to include in diet for it’s bitter flavor. Try few times to start liking it. Here’s how I have been cooking and it’s turning out good. You can use Indian bitter gourd too.
- Use coconut oil to cook this. After heating oil, add some fennel seeds which are sweet.
- Add chopped bitter gourd. I remove seeds. You can also add chopped potatoes . Add dry spices and salt.
- Once cooked , add sliced onion and cook until onion is little cooked . Won’t take too long.
- If I add potatoes, I don’t use onions. If no potatoes then add onions.
- Chinese variety is more like squash with little bitter flavor.
- You can also cook and put it in omelette.
- Enjoy !