Winter is here . It’s been pretty cold here and so calls for winter food to keep warm. In India , there are certain foods available during winter and some special things are made to enjoy in winter but you need to workout to really enjoy those food. Here’s example of few everyday meals.
- Methi / fenugreek bhaji. We use to make curry or dhebra, thepla.
- Pearl Millet/ Bajra is warm and so generally eaten for winter dinner.
- Root vegetables . Carrot , yam, winter squashes
- All kind of spices are good in winter.
- Yogurt, Rice are very cooling so eat less of it. Quinoa will be better. Kadhi is ok.
- Date with nuts. 2nd picture. Sauté chopped dates in ghee or coconut oil just for few minutes. Add nuts , cardamom powder. This is my favorite to eat in winter.
- All kind of nuts are good in winter. Of course in moderation.
- More protein so we generally eat more of beans. Urad dal, masoor , kidney beans are high in protein and so good in winter .
- I like to hike in winter since it warms you up in few minutes.
What do you eat and what are your winter activities?
Holiday season has started and with it so many sweets and flu season. My 2 cents here is boycott sweets this year.
And include some bitter. Got this neem powder from amazon and it’s pretty good bitter .
Share bitter with friends, family you care abt. Give sweets to your enemies.
If you like Mexican food , then cook black beans or pinto beans. And then you can make different things for 2-3 days.
I make quesadillas, burrito , taco salad , enchiladas etc . So many options if I have cooked beans handy.
If you are a planner , then very good . Get all ingredients including avocado and you can make at least 2 meals out if it .
I have avocado but it’s not ripe yet. Bummer .
How do you do grocery shopping? What’s the strategy? If you don’t have strategy, now is the time. Reduce your trip to grocery stores. Sharing some of my tips which I always do and I am still able to do same.
- Buy fresh produce, fruits 1st . There are some vegetables, fruits which will stay good for longer on counter , fridge and some fruits need some ripening time.
- Mix and match. Buy some vegetables like potatoes,sweet potatoes, pepper , carrots , winter squashes that will stay good after a week. Produce that goes bad quickly eat them first. Like spinach and other greens.
- Oranges , apples etc will last for a while. Berries eat first.
- Then buy some frozen vegetables. When no fresh produce , you can use them . You still have those root vegetables to eat.
- Buy beans in a bag not the containers of cooked bins. Cans are for emergency. Raw Beans soaked and cooked makes a lot. Good protein. You don’t need to be vegetarian to eat beans.
- If you have rice , quinoa, few different flour stored, then you will reduce grocery trips.
- Try to make bread at home.
- Shop your pantry . You might find good things that you can eat.
- Start garden and see what you can grow.