Beet greens are rich in iron and in general nutritious. In spring you will see fresh beetroot with greens at farmers market and grocery stores too. Walmart also has it. Beet greens I like to use immediately and then store beetroot.
Today I chopped beet greens and added to left over mung beans. Added some lemon juice and it made nice soup for lunch on a rainy day.
If you are looking for vegetarian iron sources , try to add beet greens and beetroot to your diet.
Spinach is a good source of iron for vegetarian women like me . If you are eating spinach for iron boost, according to my experience simple curry like this is more beneficial. I feel the difference when I eat this simple spinach curry.
Spinach cooks very quickly and so learn to NOT over cook and kill it . I added mushrooms to it for the bite. Or use potato or cauliflower. No paneer or tofu. Here’s how I made it :
- Heat olive oil and add some cumin seeds , methi seeds , chopped garlic and torn red chili.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped fresh spinach. Let it wilt before adding usual dry spices.
- Add spices , salt .
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for few minutes.Tomatoes enhances iron absorption.
- Done . It takes hardly 5 minutes.
- You can have with roti or rotla.
Some ppl like to have a routine so that they don’t need to think in weekdays . If that’s the case , pick a day like Wednesday is day of mercury and astrology recommends eating green food . Or you pick a day when you do grocery. Spinach i like to use in a day or 2 after bringing home .
Recipe source as shown in picture : Ayurvedic Cooking for Self -Healing by Usha Lad & Dr. Vasant Lad.
Dr. Lad is a pioneer in Ayurveda and has done excellent work in spreading Ayurvedic knowledge.
Here’s the steps I followed for soup :
- Clean fresh spinach leaves , few cilantro leaves. Blend them with water , green chili and fresh ginger according to your taste.
- Heat ghee in a pot. Crack mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Add few curry leaves and hing.
- Add puréed spinach , salt. Simmer for some time. Add Black pepper according to taste .
- Soup is good for asthma, as a blood builder and decongestant according to book.
Starting a meal with soup is a good idea and this soup is so easy to make and take few minutes. Good for vegetarian women who are looking for iron rich food.
Broccoli is very handy when you want a healthy, quick side dish or healthy ingredient to throw in something . It has good fiber which you will realize next day and is nutritious too. I like to steam some as a side dish to go with Bataka poha too.
This curry goes well with roti and it’s so quick to make . Here’s the simple , efficient way to make. And eat it right away.
- Heat a tsp of oil. While oil is heating , chop tomatoes roughly.
- Add cumin seeds to oil. Once they crack, add tomatoes and cook.
- Now start cleaning broccoli florets .
- Add dry spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add broccoli florets , salt and mix. Add little water.
- Cover and cook for 2 -3 minutes. You want to cook broccoli just right.
- Serve with roti , paratha .
- It’s easy to eat good , yummy food and it’s quick too.
It’s been cold and rainy here so that calls for hot soup . Black bean soup made with home cooked beans, tomatoes, celery , cilantro, garlic and some spices cumin powder and red chili powder. It tastes so good.
Sandwich made with home made spicy fig jam without added sugar, goat cheese and few chips for fun. Used only 1 slice of bread .
Nice hot, fun lunch . Isn’t it?