Spinach is a good source of iron for vegetarian women like me . If you are eating spinach for iron boost, according to my experience simple curry like this is more beneficial. I feel the difference when I eat this simple spinach curry.
Spinach cooks very quickly and so learn to NOT over cook and kill it . I added mushrooms to it for the bite. Or use potato or cauliflower. No paneer or tofu. Here’s how I made it :
- Heat olive oil and add some cumin seeds , methi seeds , chopped garlic and torn red chili.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped fresh spinach. Let it wilt before adding usual dry spices.
- Add spices , salt .
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for few minutes.Tomatoes enhances iron absorption.
- Done . It takes hardly 5 minutes.
- You can have with roti or rotla.
Some ppl like to have a routine so that they don’t need to think in weekdays . If that’s the case , pick a day like Wednesday is day of mercury and astrology recommends eating green food . Or you pick a day when you do grocery. Spinach i like to use in a day or 2 after bringing home .
Recipe source as shown in picture : Ayurvedic Cooking for Self -Healing by Usha Lad & Dr. Vasant Lad.
Dr. Lad is a pioneer in Ayurveda and has done excellent work in spreading Ayurvedic knowledge.
Here’s the steps I followed for soup :
- Clean fresh spinach leaves , few cilantro leaves. Blend them with water , green chili and fresh ginger according to your taste.
- Heat ghee in a pot. Crack mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Add few curry leaves and hing.
- Add puréed spinach , salt. Simmer for some time. Add Black pepper according to taste .
- Soup is good for asthma, as a blood builder and decongestant according to book.
Starting a meal with soup is a good idea and this soup is so easy to make and take few minutes. Good for vegetarian women who are looking for iron rich food.
Broccoli is very handy when you want a healthy, quick side dish or healthy ingredient to throw in something . It has good fiber which you will realize next day and is nutritious too. I like to steam some as a side dish to go with Bataka poha too.
This curry goes well with roti and it’s so quick to make . Here’s the simple , efficient way to make. And eat it right away.
- Heat a tsp of oil. While oil is heating , chop tomatoes roughly.
- Add cumin seeds to oil. Once they crack, add tomatoes and cook.
- Now start cleaning broccoli florets .
- Add dry spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add broccoli florets , salt and mix. Add little water.
- Cover and cook for 2 -3 minutes. You want to cook broccoli just right.
- Serve with roti , paratha .
- It’s easy to eat good , yummy food and it’s quick too.
It’s been cold and rainy here so that calls for hot soup . Black bean soup made with home cooked beans, tomatoes, celery , cilantro, garlic and some spices cumin powder and red chili powder. It tastes so good.
Sandwich made with home made spicy fig jam without added sugar, goat cheese and few chips for fun. Used only 1 slice of bread .
Nice hot, fun lunch . Isn’t it?
What does Ayurveda mean ? Veda meaning science and Ayu meaning life span / life . Any food that gives life is Ayurvedic. We make everything so complicated and end up going away from truth. Keep things simple. Simple recipes that takes little time in kitchen are most of the time much life giver . Today’s soup turned out so good that I had to share the recipe. I had 3 big bowls.
Soup doesn’t mean open this and that can and boil.
Soup meaning for me is add all the fresh vegetables , simmer with lots of water and mash little bit. Here’s how I made today.
- Heat very little olive oil, add chopped garlic . Fresh by the way not from bottle.
- Add chopped red onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add bay leaf.
- Add chopped fresh tomatoes and sauté few minutes while you cut all vegetables.
- I added chopped Bok Choy stalk , carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower.
- Add lots of water. Add a piece of fresh ginger , salt and pepper.
- Boil and then simmer on medium/low for an hr while you vacuum or finish other chores.
- Take a potato masher and mash some veggies inside. Yum !
- I love cilantro and so threw few leaves in it.
- Drink it up. It’s so good. It has little kick because of spices which I loved.
- It’s winter time so soup is always a good idea to start the meal with. Or sometimes it’s good to just have some soup and give stomach a break.
- Let me know when you try it .