Onion and garlic less vegetable curries are called Jain if I am right. This is a very very simple dish to make and it tasted great. Recipe source:
Here’s the steps:
- Chop a tomatoe and blend with few cashews , ginger and green chili.
- Heat oil, crack cumin seeds,pinch of hing.
- Add blended tomatoe mix , red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.Cook until oil seperates.
- Add sliced mushrooms and corn. Add some water, cover and cook until mushrooms are cooked. I used Bella mushroom. Button mushrooms release too much water.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Told you it’s so easy to make .
- Mushrooms have lot of health benefits and so I try to add them in fried rice and makes curry sometimes .
- Enjoy !
People who knows me know that I am not into throwing away food. I like to be creative with everything and use what I have in a different way or give it to someone who has some use for it. Have you heard Gandhi’s 1 of popular quote “There’s enough for everyone’s need but not for greed.” If you don’t use what you already have and keep expecting more… Then good luck with that.
So, I got this papad from India and they turned out too salty and spicy and I actually hardly eat papad. So i was about to throw away but then decided to put back for some reason . Glad I did because this papad ki Subji idea came. It’s a very simple dish from Rajasthan. Basically it’s kadhi with papad. There are lots of version online. Here’s my simplest version:
- Take sour yogurt and add little basan, turmeric powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil or ghee. Crack some cumin seeds . I added few methi seeds too.
- Add yogurt sauce , water depending on consistency you like. Adjust salt.
- I didn’t add any spices since papads were spicy. But you can add anything you like.
- To make it healthy, add some cauliflower florets. It will go well with yogurt sauce.
- If you leave this curry after cooking , it will get thick.
- Find your creative side. This papad ki Subji is result of someone ‘s creativity after all. Isn’t it? We sometimes forget the thought behind things , here cooking. People were creative with their cooking in olden times and used what they had or grew in that area.
- Enjoy !
Life Or food in desert is yummy. Gatte ki Subji is popular in Rajasthan where fresh vegetables probably were not available year around. So they learned to make yummy curries from whatever was available. Now a days everything is available everywhere but when you run out of vegetables , it’s snowing outside and you want to eat something good, try this curry.
I had first time few months back at the friend’s place and it was so good that i had to try my hands and it turned out good. Very easy to make. I followed recipe from here:
Have a side of salad or steamed /roasted vegetables on the side to make it a good healthy meal and have it with Roti .