You know it’s all abt moringa now a days. I keep a bag of moringa seeds at work and offering every one who wants to try. Today 1 of the colleague came back to take more seeds. I remembered morninga again and so decided to make for dinner. I made kind of Indian curry but I realized you can throw them in any soup you make . And I think it will taste great in minestrone soup.
Moringa pod or drumstick looks like bone , don’t they? No wonder they are rich in calcium. Try it out.
There’s so much that we don’t know and we can learn. I am Gujarati but I never had this “rasawala bhat na muthiya”. I don’t know if I ever even heard of it. In Olden times, food was scarce and noting was ever wasted. People or women were very creative and they came up with all this wonderful dishes to use left overs and still make them tasty and appealing. I do think all those mixed vegetables, mix dals were to use left overs. Lot of things were sun dried to use in winter and they ended up in curries like vadi, papad. It worked for them and were able to feed hungry mouths.
Coming back to today’s world, most of us have everything available all the time. Vegetables, fruits can be transported around the world in few hrs. Point am trying to make is we need to see what works in today’s environment and what doesn’t instead of blinding following . Blind following doesn’t help us grow in our life. And also one ends up making life miserable not only for self but to people around them too.
Since I never had this curry , I made it. I wouldn’t consider this healthy or great by any means but good once in a while with the side of big salad or roasted vegetables. We need to eat more lightly cooked vegetables in today’s environment. Recipe is simple and I liked that balls are not fried.
- Take left over rice and add some besan , cilantro leaves and spices , salt. Pour little oil. Mix everything well and Make balls and keep it aside.
- Heat oil, do seasoning and pour water . Add spices . Let water boil.
- Drop the balls and let it cook. Rice was already cooked so just besan needs to cook.
- Add some whisked plain yogurt and boil few more mins.
- Garnish with cilantro. Done !
- It’s quick. Isn’t it?
- I think you should be able to add some shredded carrot , chopped spinach into balls. Might need little more besan to bind.
- Enjoy !
When comes to travel, everyone I hear wants to travel to Europe. Europe is huge and so diverse. I wonder if ppl know what they want to see, experience. One of my dream travel is Iran. Until I visit , at least I can make food and eat. May Buddha blesses me.😊 Since am making all this Persian food, hope Iran will invite me.
Recipe I followed is here:
Since am vegetarian, I omitted meat. Here’s how I made it.
- Soak yellow split peas in water for an hr so will cook fast. They are available at most of the American grocery store.
- Cook them in water and a stick of cinnamon until just done and are not mushy.
- On the side, heat olive oil and sauté zucchini sticks like seen in picture for few mins. Cook them lightly and remove on a plate.
- Sauté chopped onion with crushed garlic. Add red chili powder, turmeric, black pepper powder. Add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Add onion tomato mixture to dal and simmer on low heat. Add salt.
- Add zucchini sticks at the end just before serving.
Do you love rice and sambhar but trying to cut back on rice ? This combination taste really good. It’s full of protein, filling and add veggies to sambhar.
You can also eat it like soup. Or take this to work and easy to eat .
Onion and garlic less vegetable curries are called Jain if I am right. This is a very very simple dish to make and it tasted great. Recipe source:
Here’s the steps:
- Chop a tomatoe and blend with few cashews , ginger and green chili.
- Heat oil, crack cumin seeds,pinch of hing.
- Add blended tomatoe mix , red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.Cook until oil seperates.
- Add sliced mushrooms and corn. Add some water, cover and cook until mushrooms are cooked. I used Bella mushroom. Button mushrooms release too much water.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Told you it’s so easy to make .
- Mushrooms have lot of health benefits and so I try to add them in fried rice and makes curry sometimes .
- Enjoy !