Pomegranate has been so much in news lately for it’s health benefits. Did you start eating them? If not , start it now. It’s good for heart health and symbolic for fertility. With so many tiny seeds inside a fruit and they are so fertile no wonder. Plant some and you will know. In India, it is advised to ppl suffering from diarrhea.
If you have Aldi store near by , they have them on sale in fall. It was 69cents this week near my store and they were all gone in 2 days. Indian stores also carry them. When pomegranate is good for your liking , plant some seeds.
How to eat them ? You can eat them just like that . Throw on some salad or chat or whatever you are eating . It will look exotic and is really good when you have party. It will make everything look exotic and your heart will be happy.
Do you taste bitter flavor every day? We should have all flavors everyday for all body to functions to happen. Bitter has drying and firming effect. Bitter gourd chips is yummy way to have little bitter in. There are lots of recipes out there. Here’s how I made it:
- Wash and trim top, bottom of bitter gourd. Scrape the surface little bit if it’s hard. Try to pick tender bitter gourds.
- Slice them thin using mendoline. If there’s any red seeds , remove it.
- Make a mixture with rice flour , chickpea flour, red chili powder, turmeric, chat masala and salt.
- Sprinkle over chips and sprinkle just a little water.
- Deep fry them.
- Nice yummy due to chat masala and of course its nicely bitter .
- Well, we just need to eat few .
- I also bought a ready made pack at Indian store and they were really good with just a hint of bitterness but of course more greasy. Home made is more bitter.
- As we enjoy bitter flavor, we also need to learn to enjoy bitter words.
Summer is here and so does watermelon. If you have never tried watermelon Indian way, then this is for you. Sprinkle some salt and roasted cumin powder on it. It’s good after hike or on a hot day when you sweat so much and so losing salt . Good way to hydrate yourself. People who work outside on hot days will also benefit from this.
Moringa is new super food now a days and its seeds are edible too. Of course they are nutritious and lot of health nuts like me are eating them. I found them at local Indian store but they are available on Amazon too.
Package says eat 2 a day. Do your research and see if they appeal to you. It will be an acquired taste.
Where ever we go, we learn something new. Don’t we ? Went to Vietnamese new year festival and saw this what I call lotus mango. Very innovative. We Indians also love mangoes but had never seen cut in lotus flower shape.
Mango is little underripe and peeled. It was put in a paper bowl and long stick was inserted at the bottom. Now lady chef cut the mango like a lotus flower.
Sprinkle salt, lemon juice and red pepper powder. Yum !
Try it out . It will be a wonderful idea for the party. Or for kids to snack on.