- Heat oil and crack few mustard seeds and methi seeds.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped cucumber. Remove skin if it’s too thick.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, cumin-coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add some crushed raw peanuts. It will get cooked with cucumber. If you have roasted peanut , then add at the end when cucumber is all cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Makes a good side dish to go with roti.
Bitter gourd has lot of benefits and amazingly older ppl don’t mind eating them. They have been used to eating it. Most of us don’t eat now a days. Lot of ppl don’t even know what bitter taste is like. But when Indians get diabetics, they start using it. It’s a good vegetable to include in diet for it’s bitter flavor. Try few times to start liking it. Here’s how I have been cooking and it’s turning out good. You can use Indian bitter gourd too.
- Use coconut oil to cook this. After heating oil, add some fennel seeds which are sweet.
- Add chopped bitter gourd. I remove seeds. You can also add chopped potatoes . Add dry spices and salt.
- Once cooked , add sliced onion and cook until onion is little cooked . Won’t take too long.
- If I add potatoes, I don’t use onions. If no potatoes then add onions.
- Chinese variety is more like squash with little bitter flavor.
- You can also cook and put it in omelette.
- Enjoy !
Most of us eat snow peas in Chinese , Thai food and may be only at restaurant. But we can make Indian style curry out of it at home or you can just stir fry it for a side dish.Here’s how I made it and it’s so quick.
- Had some green onions left so sauted in olive oil. But before that did mustards seeds, cumin seeds seasoning.
- Add snow peas after washing , cleaning and removing top, bottom and sides.
- Add ginger, garlic paste and dry spices, salt.
- Let it cook little bit covered and then add chopped tomatoes. Cook few more mins and that’s it.
- You can also add potatoes , any beans like peas, cowpeas to it too.
- There’s absolutely no need to use pressure cooker for this. We Indians are so used of pressure cooker that everything just goes in.
- If you don’t like Indian spices then just sauté it in olive oil with some chopped garlic and keep it crunchy. I think it will taste good.
- Enjoy !
Arugula, chopped figs and goat cheese. That’s it. Didn’t add any dressing . Make sure each bite has all 3 ingredients which won’t be hard. Very very tasty.
Do give it a shot if you can find figs. It’s a fig season so if you will look around , am sure you will find. Where there’s a will , there’s a way.:) You might have to just pay more.
All those tomatoes i got , needed to be used. Thought of cooking them in some form so it will stay good for a while in fridge . 1 idea led to another and another and final result turned out pretty good, yummy, unique and nutritious . Oh and simple too. So what did I do?
- Chop tomatoes in chunk.
- Heat olive oil , crack some mustard seeds and 4-5 methi seeds.
- Add tomatoes and cook. Throw some garlic , ginger and red chili.Add salt.
- Once tomatoes are cooked, switch of the stove. Add a tsp of brown sugar. Cool and Blend everything.
- Now mixture was very watery so I added a tbsp of chia seeds and left the bowl in fridge. Genius idea.:) Chia absorbed the water and made it nice thick.
- I had with dhokla and it was very tasty . You can eat with idli , dosa or spread on sandwich.
- You know all those chutneys we Indian makes like coriander chutney and what not where we use peanuts , Daliya to thicken chutney , can be replaced with chia or use in combination .
- I won’t repeat chia health benefits but you will notice next day morning .:)
- Enjoy chi .. Chi chia seeds !