People who are trying to avoid breads, using lettuce to wrap is a good idea and taste good too. I made a black bean burger and had one with bread but then I was still hungry and didn’t want to eat another roll so wrapped it in lettuce and liked it .Use 3-4 lettuce leaves to wrap it. I used only one and it was hard to hold it . If lettuce is not a available then you can use cabbage leaves too. May be you can put them in boiling water for a min if they are too hard for your taste. Here’s how easy it was to make black bean burger.
- Mash cooked black beans after draining water . Or you can use kidney beans too.
- Add chopped white onion, cumin powder, garlic powder , red chili powder or chili flakes.
- Add break crumbs and 1 tsp of flax seed powder . Adjust salt.
- Here’s the star ingredient at least for me. Add some chopped cilantro leaves. Or you can use green onions too.
- Make burger and shallow fry in olive oil or coconut oil.
- To assemble burger , take lettuce leaves and arrange burger , cheese, avocado, onion , tomatoe , ketchup on it. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Close with lettuce leaves.
- You can also eat burger with just ketchup. Black beans are good source of protein and remember you got your dose of flax seeds too.
- Yum !
Sprouts are very nutritious and tasty too. Mung sprouts curry I make is very popular among lot of my friends and some of them even learned to make it. If you have some left over and want to eat some new way , this turned out good. Everyone should learn how to sprout I believe. It’s so easy and fun.
There’s really no recipe for this.Spread hummus inside pita. Fill it with mung sprout curry(should be dry), add chopped salad. And you can pour some salad dressing, yogurt sauce or raita.
You can also make a salad with sprouts and vegetables and have it with pita chips. I always recommend cooked sprouts. Raw sprouts might cause digestion problems and gas.
Makes a nice filling , nutritious, easy breezy summer lunch.
If you like justlunchideas’s ideas, share with friends and family. Good things are to be shared, not to keep hidden. That way we know if it’s good , bad or needs improvement. If I keep saying am a good cook, but no one ever tasted my food, then what’s the point?
Share your food, recipes unless you are a chef and your signature recipes make your living. There’s a phrase in my mother tongue Gujarati ” Bataku rotlo khava karta khavravyo meetho lage” meaning “Piece of bread is sweeter when fed to someone than just eating yourself.”
There are lot of detox drink recipes coming up now a days with greens. Have you ever thought abt it that they are our age old chutney ingredients?All parsley, cilantro , mint etc is good for liver. We can just enjoy out chutneys as part of diet and get benefits.
Basic chutney recipe is: cilantro leaves, mint leaves , Dalia, ginger-garlic-green chili, lemon juice and salt. Blend it with as little water as possible .
For variation add parsley(strong flavor), curry leaves whatever u have. You can add peanuts , almonds or cashew too . Instead of lemon, use tomato for sourness. My grandma on mom’s side was expert in chutney making and I had seen her doing all these variations. She liked her meal with chutney on the side to lick.:)
Spread it on sandwich or as a side dish with Indian meal. Or find your own way.
And yes, make it fresh and eat it up. In India, it’s always made last at the time of having meal and just enough for that meal. No storing.
What to eat, make everyday is a problem for many. Or not when you just keep eating same thing. Good breakfast is another concern. Chana masala sandwich is good when you have left over since it will give protein and is filling. Use good quality wholesome bread.
- Make sure Chana masala is thick and there shouldn’t be all gravy else it will make it soggy.
- You can also add some onion or cheese if you like.
- For uninitiated, you can make spicy chickpeas filling. Sauté some onion, tomatoes. Add curry powder , any spices you like , throw boiled chickpeas. And mash the mixture little bit. Filling is ready.
- Make sandwiches anyway you like.
- Little fresh grapefruit juice (1 grapefruit made only that much juice )and you are good to go. Acidic fruit helps to digest food.
Do you like to be creative with left overs and serve it in a new way? Then you will like this idea. I always make Chana dal bottle gourd Subji extra since I can always make sandwiches from it. Other thing i make it quesadilla. They taste really good and so easy to make when you have left over Subji. Last minute lunch or breakfast.
- Make Subji dry . No extra water should be there else it will make quesadilla soggy.
- Spread Subji on tortilla , sprinkle Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese.
- Cook regular way you make quesadilla. Done .
- Yum .
As am watching show “chef on the wheels”, thinking how he is traveling across India and connecting with farmers, ppl through food. Whatever we do, we can include everything into it and give it a life. On the singing show, contestants are asked to sing in a new language. Isn’t that amazing? A great singer will be able to sing in any language and listener won’t even know that it’s not singer’s mother tongue. All part of learning and growing and of course having fun with it. Never stop learning .