Am not sure if I have posted this idea before that I had seen on master chef India. Contestants were asked to make pizza with Indian flavor or something like that . I make Mexican style pizza using Indian rotla. What I like is rotla we make fresh which taste really good and then you top with your favorite ingredients.
- I made rotla using corn flour and the reason I am using rotla is because they are thick and so makes a good solid base. You can also use jowar/sorghum rotla. Make rotla little small in size.
- Put lettuce leaves on top of rotla.
- Now put black beans seasoned with salt and cumin powder. Or you can use kidney beans but mash them little.
- Top with salsa or chopped tomatoe , onion, cucumber, cilantro.
- Add chopped avocado and cheddar cheese.
- Take a bite. It’s really good.
- It makes good filling wholesome meal.
One of my colleague had told me abt pupusas a while back and since then I have been thinking to make them. It’s just like Indian stuff rotla and so I knew I will be able to make it. It is made with corn flour maseca and stuffed with mozzarella cheese. It’s eaten with special cabbage salad called curtido.Here’s How i made it.
- First make cabbage salad and I changed it little to keep nutrition intact.Mix shredded cabbage, carrot and thinly slice onion in a pot. Add tbsp of water, cover and let it come to boil. Switch it off right away. You want to cook it slightly only. It’s mainly cabbage and carrot,onion is only little bit.
- Now add salt, apple cider vinegar according to taste. And pinch of oregano. Make it in glass bowl and let it marinate on side. Result should be crunchy.
- For pupusas, take maseca and follow the pkg instruction to make dough. Basically add pinch of baking soda , salt and warm water.
- I mixed shredded mozzarella with some chopped cilantro leaves.
- Now make like stuff paratha and roast with little oil on a griddle . Cook well at medium heat.
- I had pupusas with cabbage salad and some chopped avocado. Yummy !
- You can stuff with beans and cheese mix too. Be creative. Green onion will go well too.
- If corn flour is not available , try jowar/sorghum flour. We need to learn to make things work when we want to do something.
- We learn things from ppl we meet and all our surroundings if we keep our mind open.
Spelt flour roti has been on my mind for so many years. I never found flour in stores and then will forget abt it. Finally I ordered from amazon. Health food store also will have it. I don’t have any health food store near by. Had to make roti right away.And roti turned out so good. Loved it.
You make dough same way as wheat flour. Add little salt , oil and then water. I made from spelt flour only. No mixing with any other flour. There’s no need. Roti was easy to roll since it has less gluten than wheat.
Taste wise , I loved it. Was filling and felt wholesome . Must try, I would say.
Jowar is called white millet in English and its gluten free. Lot of ppl now a days are trying to avoid white rice so this is a good option.
- As part of experiment, 1 day I added some jowar flour to regular idly batter and idly came out nice ,yummy ,earthy and little yellowish .
- So this time I soaked 1 cup urad dal with 4-5 methi seeds for 5 hrs. Ground it as usual and added 2 cups of jowar flour and let it ferment. Do you know methi seeds help with fermentation? I didn’t add it once and batter didn’t ferment.
- Idly turned out nice fluffy but taste I didn’t like. When I seasoned idly , it tasted fine.
- So next day, I turned batter into uttapama and voila … They tasted good. It’s like seasoned jowar rotla.
- You can use jowar flour in any pancake you make. Just a little bit since its gluten free.
- Also jowar is cooling so good in this hot weather.
- Try out this wholesome uttapama.
- Enjoy !