This is the first time am doing Chaitra Navratri fasting. Chaitra Navratri comes in spring time and good time to fast as we all know. If you look at what we can eat, same recommendations which didn’t make sense to me. We are coming out of cold winter days and getting ready for summer . I was thinking food needs to be different. If you read this space , you know spring time is when we see lots of greens , sprouts . Earth is warming up and so good to eat those tender greens and sprouts. Fast or no fast.
Finally realization happens that We should eat greens instead of root vegetables that we eat during fall navratri. So I made samo rice with spinach and it tasted so good. Even if you are not fasting, you can make this. Good to pack in lunch. Easy breezy to make . Here’s the recipe:
- Heat coconut oil. Crack cumin seeds and add few whole peppercorns. Add raw peanuts and sauté for a min so peanuts turn crunchy.
- Add samo rice with water. Add sindhov salt. Cover and cook until half done.
- Add chopped spinach. Cover and cook again until done .
- Yummy. Don’t believe me . Try yourself.
- You can also add green peas which are also in season during spring.
Do you clean your home , drawer,attic etc upon arrival of spring? What about body which is our 1st home through out the stay on earth? In India, different season ,time has all different religious activities and part of it is fasting. Now a days we do celebrate but minus fasting. We need to relearn importance of fasting during season change.
We all ate lot of heavy food during winter and body needs to adjust to warm, hot weather so give it little rest and it will serve you better. Here’s few ideas :
- Skip one meal a day that you are dependent on. It could be breakfast, lunch ,dinner whatever it is. That’s all.
- Change the diet. If you are heavy on meal, become vegetarian for a week. If you are heavy on dairy, go vegan. If you eat nuts every day, go on vegetables. Whatever you do every day, change it.
- Navratri starting today so good time to fast. Eat light meals , 1 time. Remember it’s fasting and not feasting.
- Whatever you decide to do,keep it simple and don’t make a huge project out of it.
- If you are a heavy coffee drinker , smoker or something like that, just skip coffee , cigarette, alcohol for a week or 9 days. You know yourself best and know what you need to do.
Happy Navratri !
Rajgira or also called Amranth is very nutritious and I feel we should include in our diet more often. Lot of people are ending up with wheat allergy now a days. Why wait until then ? If your diet is so heavy on wheat , rice then it’s a good idea to start trying other things . You don’t need to fast to eat rajgira goodies.
I had hardly anything today and was really hungry so I decided to make this few vadas to eat with samo khichadi. It’s very easy to make.
- Grate bottle gourd and remove water and keep it aside.
- Add rajgira flour , cumin seeds, cilantro and sindhov salt.
- Knead and if u need water , add that bottle gourd water you kept aside . Use remaining water to cook samo rice.
- Fry in peanut or coconut oil.
- They were tasty and made my dinner bearable. Eat in moderation. I just made few so no question of eating too many.
First let me tell you what happened on Day 1 of navratri. I had no clue navratri was starting on Thursday. For whatever reason I was thinking it was starting Monday. So Thursday morning when I saw happy navratri everywhere on fb , I thought people just can’t wait. My day went as usual at work and then we went out from work to celebrate coworker’s upcoming wedding and I had crab dip thinking it’s cheese dip. Friend saw me eating and she came running , hey what r u eating ? Oops. I had only 1 chip. But it’s ok. Then come home and at night I was watching KBC 9 on tv and there too Amitabh talked abt women , mother etc . Then in 1 long shot, I saw big decorations which looked like navratri decor. I suspected myself and googled. Oh no… it started today.
Now late at night , I had to come up with my plan of action immediately. There’s good food I had cooked in fridge. Do I have any fruits ? Anything I can eat next day? I quickly freezed what I could and threw away some. I gobbled some sweet. Ha.. ha.
But next morning which was yday I started my fast and today I felt my skin looking radiant so I am posting my picture. You won’t know what it looked before but it’s what I see , how I feel.
Life sometimes catches you off guard and you have to come up with action plan in no time. There’s a saying in my language which means “whenever you wake up, it’s morning.” So no excuses and start your life whenever you realize . First sutra of Patanjali’s yoga is “and now the systamatic study of yoga starts.” Now is imp here . Not old age , not young age , not tomorrow, not yday it’s “NOW”.
Happy fasting , feasting, garba !!!
So fast is done and yes, I follow my own guidance to know when to end. Let’s talk abt elimination first . Do you know how long is our colon? It’s around 5 feet long. Amazing what all comes out when you are fasting. All that stored gunk. After fast digestion is better, taste buds are sharp and so food taste so good. My stomach muscles feel little tighter.
Let’s talk abt salt. Do you know recommended salt amount? 1500 mg which is probably around 1 tsp. While fasting, I had sindhov salt at dinner time probably 1/4th tsp and I did fine . If you are working out , sweating then salt need will change. Sugar is another overdose we do everyday .
I follow my own wisdom again on what to break fast with. I was in need of iron and protein so made kidney beans with spinach thrown in. Little lemon to help digest beans and absorb iron. Ate less and still was satisfied and full. No obsession with food and no cravings .
Enjoy feast if you are fasting !