Yoga friend gave me a pack of organic rye flour . She either didn’t know what to do with it or she thought it’s gluten free but turned out it has gluten. She knows how I try new recipes so she gave it to me . Since it has gluten I thought it’s easy to make roti with it. I also like rye bread so this was easy.
I used 1 cup wheat flour from Indian store and may be 3/4th cup rye flour. Made roti as usual and they turned out good. It was easy to roll them. Didn’t feel any taste difference.
Try it out. Rye flour is easy to find.
Note: Rye here is different than rye(mustard seeds). Rye is a grain.
Every Indian is familiar with tava pulao and love it. But times have changed and white rice is off the list for health nuts like me. And sometimes ppl are forced due to sugar. Quinoa pulao is a very good option and taste very good too.
- Sauté onion, tomatoes as usual in coconut oil.
- Add vegetables like carrot, peas, green beans, colored pepper. You can add paneer or tofu also.
- Now the star ingredient. Pav Bhaji masala. (Available in Indian stores and very cheap) Add salt.
- You can also add some cashew nuts.
- Add cooked quinoa and adjust masala.
- You can add little garam masala too.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
- with the side of yogurt or raita, some chips or papad and it’s a fun meal.
Buckwheat groat is available at Indian store and on Amazon too. Buckwheat is allowed to eat when Indians fast where grains are prohibited. Buckwheat is a seed and nutritious. Buckwheat pilaf makes a good lunch to carry it to work, school. It’s so easy to make and am sure you don’t need recipe. But some ideas:
- Buckwheat groats from Indian store are not roasted so I first roasted for few minutes. And then cook it like rice.
- I cracked some cumin seeds and sauté veggies. Add salt and crushed pepper .
- I had some boiled kala Chana which I threw in .
- Add cooked buckwheat groats and mix.
- Done . Healthy meals are easy to make.
- You can top with lettuce, cucumber , tomatoes, lemon juice too.
One of my favorite activity is browse recipes , cooking videos since I like to try new ingredients, new ways or healthy ways to cook. I saw recipe of Thai peanut sauce and not finding now but I made using almond butter. It’s a 1 pot simple meal but yummy and good to take to work for lunch. Here’s how I made:
- Heat olive oil and sauté chopped garlic, add little ginger too.
- Add chopped onion, veggies you like. I added lots of them like chopped carrot ,colored pepper, zucchini, bok choy. Season with salt and crushed black pepper.
- Add vegetable stock and then spoonful of almond butter. Let it boil.
- Add some protein. I added tofu but you can add some chickpeas or any beans you like.
- Add soba noodles, cover and cook.
- If you like soupy then add more stock .
- Once done, add some crushed chili pepper and lemon or lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro. You can also add some almonds or peanuts for crunch.
- I love that it only needs 1 pot and to eat also just 1 bowl. And goodness of all veggies.
Everything we do is abt life and can teach us something new. As I was making Buckwheat bread , and had realized you can only add little bit Buckwheat flour because it has strong chalky taste. I was contemplating why I should bother adding little. Jesus came to rescue and realized that we don’t need more of everything. It just has become our tendency to have everything more which includes more money, more cars , more status … list is endless.
Same way, to make life happier or to start with a day, we just need to spend 5 mins everyday doing something we enjoy. Whatever it is that you enjoy.
So made banana bread happily just the way I usually make . But replaced 1/4 th flour with Buckwheat and it made a huge difference and bread taste more wholesome.
Do you spend 5 mins a day doing things you enjoy? Start now.