Mint bonanza is still going on. Do you know Mint is good for skin too? I think my skin is shiny because of mint am eating . Ok so made mint rice today with lots of vegetables in it. Here’s my version of mint rice.
- Cook basmati rice with salt , little coconut oil and keep it aside. Mine got little over cooked .
- Mint paste: Fun part.. pick mint from garden or pot . Rinse and take just leaves. Throw it in a magic bullet . Add some cilantro leaves if you like. Throw a piece of ginger , garlic , green chili according to your taste and make a paste with little water. Keep the paste on the side .
- Heat oil in another nonstick pan. Crack some cumin seeds. Add some dry spices like clove , bay leaf.
- Add chopped onion and sauté.
- Add tomatoes and cook.
- Now add veggies you like. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, potatoes, green beans, paneer , tofu, mushroom. Add salt.
- Cover and cook just right . Don’t want veggies to be mushy.
- Add mint paste and sauté for few mins.
- Add rice and carefully mix everything.
- Garnish with cashews.
- Hold on now… cover the pot and go for a walk while all flavors mingle with each other.
- When you return, enjoy mint rice.
Tava pulav/pilaf is my new favorite now a days. Add some veggies , pav bhaji masala and tasty meal ready. I use same recipe for quinoa or any other grain, seed. This time I used buckwheat. Roast buckwheat first if not roasted and then cook according to pkg.
Now follow the same recipe as Tava Quinoa pulav.
- Sauté onion, tomatoes.
- Add veggies and pav bhaji masala.
- Mix cooked buckwheat.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro.
- Buckwheat is a complete protein so now feel good as you enjoy it.
Yoga friend gave me a pack of organic rye flour . She either didn’t know what to do with it or she thought it’s gluten free but turned out it has gluten. She knows how I try new recipes so she gave it to me . Since it has gluten I thought it’s easy to make roti with it. I also like rye bread so this was easy.
I used 1 cup wheat flour from Indian store and may be 3/4th cup rye flour. Made roti as usual and they turned out good. It was easy to roll them. Didn’t feel any taste difference.
Try it out. Rye flour is easy to find.
Note: Rye here is different than rye(mustard seeds). Rye is a grain.
Every Indian is familiar with tava pulao and love it. But times have changed and white rice is off the list for health nuts like me. And sometimes ppl are forced due to sugar. Quinoa pulao is a very good option and taste very good too.
- Sauté onion, tomatoes as usual in coconut oil.
- Add vegetables like carrot, peas, green beans, colored pepper. You can add paneer or tofu also.
- Now the star ingredient. Pav Bhaji masala. (Available in Indian stores and very cheap) Add salt.
- You can also add some cashew nuts.
- Add cooked quinoa and adjust masala.
- You can add little garam masala too.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
- with the side of yogurt or raita, some chips or papad and it’s a fun meal.
Buckwheat groat is available at Indian store and on Amazon too. Buckwheat is allowed to eat when Indians fast where grains are prohibited. Buckwheat is a seed and nutritious. Buckwheat pilaf makes a good lunch to carry it to work, school. It’s so easy to make and am sure you don’t need recipe. But some ideas:
- Buckwheat groats from Indian store are not roasted so I first roasted for few minutes. And then cook it like rice.
- I cracked some cumin seeds and sauté veggies. Add salt and crushed pepper .
- I had some boiled kala Chana which I threw in .
- Add cooked buckwheat groats and mix.
- Done . Healthy meals are easy to make.
- You can top with lettuce, cucumber , tomatoes, lemon juice too.