Don’t judge the book by cover . Here don’t judge a dish by picture. I take bad photos of dish. Poppy seed also know as Khus khus is made into curry and I used to love this dish growing up. First time I made it and having it after probably more than 2 decades . I still loved it and I was able to get same taste . Here’s how I made it.
- Soak 1/4th cup poppy seeds in water for an hr. Drain it and grind/blend with little water .
- Heat mustard oil and add 1 big finely chopped onion. You need good amount of onion in this curry. Sauté until brown.
- Add red chili powder, little bit coriander- cumin powder, ginger garlic paste. Add salt but be careful. Add only little.
- Add poppy paste and cook few minutes.
- That’s it. Easy breezy and very tasty.
- Goes very well with roti. I am limiting wheat in diet but this curry I had to eat with a roti.
- Warning : If you have a drug taste coming up, don’t eat this curry day before. It will show false results.
Generally we make cauliflower with green peas or potatoes. If you want to add some protein, add boiled kala Chana. Combination tasted good and will keep me full for a while. I like to add generous amt of cilantro.
Yesterday I attended communication workshop and learned few interesting things. 1 of the exercises we did was tell / describe yourself in 3 words to the person sitting next to you. And other person should be able to retain those 3 words . Think of the 3 words you will use.
When we use all generic things like knowledgeable, truthful, handy, kind etc etc.. they are just too generic and not much of use to other ppl. So it has to be unique abt yourself . We all are unique and we should know our uniqueness and how to use it.
1 of the thing I said abt myself was Ayurvedic cook and that person wanted to know more abt Ayurvedic cooking. Isn’t that interesting? Yes , Ayurvedic cook is 2 words but it did the job of introducing myself to a stranger in unique way.
Your turn, think abt it and do it with your friends and families.
This is another simple sattvik curry you can make in few mins. You don’t need to spend hrs in kitchen to cook nourishing food. Little planning ahead is all needed.
- Boil sprouted Chana with a piece of ginger and add some salt half way. Cool until done. You can do this step while working or doing some other work.
- When time to eat, heat little olive oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, 1 torn red or green chili.
- Now add washed spinach leaves. Add boiled Chana without water and adjust salt. Cook only for a minute or 2 until spinach is wilted.
- Use left over Chana with water in soup or rasam.
- And yes, don’t forget to serve with fresh lemon. Will help with digestion.
- Simple sattvik curry ready !
- Enjoy !
*sattvik meaning nourishing food which will not agitate body or mind after eating.
Let’s get back to food and recipes again. Indian cooking uses lot of potatoes but now a days people try to stay away from potatoes for different reasons. Cabbage with potato is a very popular dish but it taste great with beans too and you will have some protein in a dish. Here’s how I made it:
- Heat oilve oil, add some cumin seeds, 1 torn red or green chili , few curry leaves.
- Add shredded cabbage, cooked beans and salt.
- Sauté for 2-3 mins. You don’t want to overlook cabbage and kill all nutrition.
- It’s summer time and very hot so kept spices to minimum and it tasted good.
- You can use any beans you like. I added small red chori. Chickpeas go really well too if you are not sure. Be creative and try different beans to come up with new flavor.
- Reminder – chew your food well. Each bite 32 times until it becomes liquid.
- Enjoy !