On my recent visit to India, my friend mentioned neem, something I was looking for here in USA. There was a tree near her house and they use leaves from it and so her mother in law dried some for me to bring. Growing up in India most of us know that neem has health benefits and it’s very bitter so kids stay away from it. Now as a grown up it’s a different story. Neem is bitter so it has anti bacterial , anti-viral properties. Neem paste is used for skin infection. It’s so bitter no wonder bacteria , virus will not survive.
- To make tea is very easy . Boil few leaves with clean water.
- Strain and drink. I added some lemon juice too.
- Bitter is 1 of the flavor we don’t get much in diet and overdose of sugar everyday makes things worse. If you had lot of sweets during thanksgiving, then try neem tea.
- I think neem tea is also available in market.
- When we come from India, we bring sweets to share with friends and family. I think it’s time we bring something healthy like this neem leaves.
- In India, kids are given bitter things to drink now and then since they eat lot of sweets. But now adults are same too so we better start including bitter flavor in our diet.
Have you ever used real rose petals in cooking? Rose petals are laxative in nature and considered cooling in Ayurveda. I have tried rose firani before and had turned out real good. Since I like to use natural ingredients and whatever is available around me , when I saw rose… Hmmm yum.
Tukmariya is another cooling ingredient and it looks almost like chia seeds. Am not very sure abt other nutrients in it but I love them in rose milk and falooda is my favorite drink.
- Boil milk with fresh rose petals . Make sure rose petals are not sprayed. If you keep milk with rose petals in fridge overnight , flavor will intensify. Else you will hardly get flavor. Rose also needs to be with nice smell meaning flavor will be there. And you don’t get color this way but I don’t care .
- Soak Tukmariya in milk for an hr so they become like gel just like chia seeds.
- I had falooda sev so I boiled that too.It’s optional.
- To assemble, add Tukmariya and sev first in a glass. Pour rose milk and add sugar.
- You can top with vanilla ice team and it will become falooda but I didn’t .
- Tukmariya taste little different than chia and I love them. Try it out.
- If you are fond of rose flavor like me, then try this real rose flavor.
- Enjoy !
There’s gonna be lot of fig recipes now since fig tree is loaded and too many ideas are pouring in my head. I might start looking like a fig. Fig tree has become such a celebrity that now ppl ask me how is fig tree ? They don’t ask how am I ? 🙂
Fig shake is too yummy and good for kids too who generally like milk shakes.
- Chop fresh figs , add some milk and little vanilla ice team . Now secret ingredient is flax seeds meal/powder. Add little bit of it. Good source of omega 3 and you don’t notice any taste difference.
- I didn’t add any sugar and it was enough sweet b/c of sweet figs and ice cream.
- Blend everything and that’s it.
- Vanilla ice cream makes it creamy.
- Enjoy !
Do you like simple things in life? I do. Keep life, thoughts , food everything simple. Why complicate things unnecessarily and confuse self? Today’s drink is simple too. This drink has been on mind and I bought cantaloupe specifically for drink but I ate it up. So bought again but this time finally made drink. It’s so good and refreshing . I will be making a lot in summer.
Here’s how I did:
- Chop cantaloupe in big chunks. Blend with little water depending on how thin you want.
- Add little bit of rose water if you like. I didn’t have any but am gonna buy. It will elevate drink to next level I feel .
- You can add some finely chopped or shredded cantaloupe too for garnish on top.
- I didn’t add any sugar but you can.
- Garnish with mint.
- By the way, it’s a middle eastern drink or just from Iran. Not sure.
- If cantaloupe is not available, then you can use other similar kind of melons like at my place in India, we have similar kind of fruit we call shakkarteti. But it will need some sugar.
- Enjoy !