Meal rich in fiber. Oat has good fiber.
Sambhar has vegetables so good nutrition and fiber.
People still don’t eat enough vegetables. With so much info available now a days , one would think ppl eat enough vegetables.
Find ways to add vegetables in a meal and over cooked vegetables don’t count.
Cranberries are very sour , aren’t they? So it’s ideal use will be where you need sourness. But they are used with so much sugar .
We use some sourness like lemon, tomato , tamarind in Dal so cranberry goes very well here .
How do you use cranberry?
Basically Dalma is dal with vegetables is what I learned from watching few you tube videos. Good 1 pot meal and Dalma is little mild on spices .
I did make fresh spice mixture for it.
- Used tuvar dal plus little mung dal. Boil dal with little turmeric powder , ginger .
- Vegetables what I had – eggplant , potato , carrot, drumstick, tomatoes. Pumpkin will taste good if you have it.
- Vegetables are cut in big chunks to retain shape .
- I cooked dal first in instant pot and then added vegetables and cooked 5 more minutes.
- Season with ghee, cumin seeds, red chili.
- Dry Roasted red chilies, cinnamon, black pepper and cumin seeds. Make a powder and use this like garam masala .
- Remember to add salt.
- Since I never had Dalma , don’t know what it taste like but am sure one day I will have opportunity to taste authentic Dalma.
- With all vegetables, it’s a very filling meal.
- If you are fond of different kind of dals , try it.
Do you know Indian “makhaniya” biscuit that we dunk in tea? Bati reminded me of it. Here you dunk it in dal. I have never tasted dal bati and this is the first time I made it so I don’t have anything to compare which is good.
Here’s the recipe I followed:
Dal – I liked it since I love dal anyways and this dal was very simple to make. No sauté of onion , tomatoes which is a big plus . You can make in insta pot. Also this dal can be enjoyed with roti or any crusty wholesome bread like focaccia bread.
Bati- I used coconut oil instead of ghee. It’s made of whole wheat flour and really simple to make.
Overall, it’s an easy meal to make.
Cooking beans , lentils , dals is so easy and mess free with insta pot. Cooked mung dal for 15 minutes and then seasoned with spices on sauté mode.
Add big chunks of cauliflower, turn off insta pot and put lid on. Cauliflower will cook in steam, residual heat.
After 10 minutes garnish with cilantro leaves, add some lemon juice.
Have with quinoa, brown rice , jasmine rice. You can use your rice cooker for it and dinner will be ready in no time.