Variety is the spice of life. But when it comes to breakfast, many ppl stick to same thing everyday. It’s a good idea to eat different things in my opinion. You don’t need to be stuck with dairy, wheat so much that end up with allergy.
So made this oatmeal which took 2 mins.
- Cook plain oatmeal according to pkg instructions. I use only water to cook.
- Once cooked , add pinch of crushed saffron. Let it sit for a min and oatmeal will turn orange hue.
- Add chopped dates, pistachios.
- Warm hearty breakfast ready.
One of my colleague had told me abt pupusas a while back and since then I have been thinking to make them. It’s just like Indian stuff rotla and so I knew I will be able to make it. It is made with corn flour maseca and stuffed with mozzarella cheese. It’s eaten with special cabbage salad called curtido.Here’s How i made it.
- First make cabbage salad and I changed it little to keep nutrition intact.Mix shredded cabbage, carrot and thinly slice onion in a pot. Add tbsp of water, cover and let it come to boil. Switch it off right away. You want to cook it slightly only. It’s mainly cabbage and carrot,onion is only little bit.
- Now add salt, apple cider vinegar according to taste. And pinch of oregano. Make it in glass bowl and let it marinate on side. Result should be crunchy.
- For pupusas, take maseca and follow the pkg instruction to make dough. Basically add pinch of baking soda , salt and warm water.
- I mixed shredded mozzarella with some chopped cilantro leaves.
- Now make like stuff paratha and roast with little oil on a griddle . Cook well at medium heat.
- I had pupusas with cabbage salad and some chopped avocado. Yummy !
- You can stuff with beans and cheese mix too. Be creative. Green onion will go well too.
- If corn flour is not available , try jowar/sorghum flour. We need to learn to make things work when we want to do something.
- We learn things from ppl we meet and all our surroundings if we keep our mind open.
Is everyone using flax seeds or chia seeds for omega 3? Here’s another way to use flax seeds powder. Throw it in idly…and to my surprise it made idly very soft. I don’t know the reason. Here’s how I did it.
- Made idly batter as usual using brown rice.
- Added tsp of flax seeds powder into batter just before steaming them.
- For the uninitiated in flax seeds, they need to be powdered for body to absorb nutrients.
- Chutney was made using cilantro leaves, curry leaves, fresh coconut , Dalia, green chili, salt and lemon juice. It was yummy. There’s no need to season. Why add extra calories?
- Enjoy !
Last night while watching master chef India, I got this idea and was excited to try it out. I knew it will taste good and I have brought saffron from Dubai which I have been wanting to try and see if it is good . When I googled , I saw people have already tried this combination.Well, it’s still was new for me. Here’s how I made it.
- Warm or boil milk. Add few strands of saffron. I also added some crushed cardamom seeds.
- Once milk cools down or just warm, add Chia seeds. And keep it aside for an hr or some. I just kept it in fridge overnight.
- Eat for breakfast.Yum !
- It tasted really good and saffron I got from Dubai is really good. Seems high quality. Saffron dissolved in a milk quickly and gave milk nice golden color and saffron flavor.
- If you still haven’t tried Chia seeds , then I have no words. Kick yourself and buy some .:)
- Indian Tukmariya that’s used in falooda is different from Chia seeds.
When you want to take some thing healthy, new and easy to potluck , chia pudding is good. I took this to work today for our monthly birthday celebration. It looked good presentation wise. Here’s how I did it:
- Take chia seeds, little bit oatmeal, raisins and coconut flakes in a bowl.
- Pour unsweetened almond milk over it and keep it in fridge overnight.
- Garnish with some nuts and fruits. Mango will be really good .
- If you like more sweeter , mix honey before garnishing but I would recommend skipping. There’s enough sweetness from raisin and fruits.
- Enjoy !