Have you ever made enchilada sauce or just buy can ? Well, I always bought can since all recipes i saw used canned tomato sauce. What’s the point? But I found recipe using fresh tomatoes and so I tried. It’s really good and I loved it. I also make corn tortillas at home sometimes since it’s almost like Indian roti, rotla. I found recipe on this wonderful site: https://www.mexicanplease.com It has very good Mexican recipes so do check it out.Here’s how I made it. It is almost like how we make Indian sauces.
- Roast 3 Roma tomatoes for 20 mins at 400F.
- Sauté half white onion chopped with 2-3 garlic cloves for 7-8 mins. I used red onion.
- Chop roasted tomatoes and throw it in and cook for a minute.
- Now add Chipotle’s pepper may be just 1. And 2 tsp of sauce from it also.
- Add cumin powder, black pepper, salt , Mexican oregano if you have it. I skipped it.
- Let it cool down and blend it.
- Heat the sauce again and add some water depending on how thick you want it.
- Make enchiladas the way you like it.
- Chipotle peppers makes a difference in taste and they are available easily.
Mung is so easy to sprouts in summer when it’s hot. Sprouts have more nutrition and they taste so good . You can use this sprouts in so many different ways. Make puda/pancake by mixing chickpea flour and spices, veggies. It will be high protein pancake/puda. You can use in salad , make curry out of it . This is how I sprout.
Soak mung beans in water from morning to night which is for me from 8-9 am to 9-10 pm.
Rinse and put them in my steel strainer like shown in picture. You can use cheese cloth too.
Cover with some pot or plate and leave on the side of kitchen counter .
Next day evening after around 18-20 hrs , they look like the picture.
Isn’t it easy? Mung beans are cheap too. I buy them at Indian store.
Try it out. It’s totally worth to spend few bucks to try this experiment.
Other day I saw this cooking show “The Global Menu” on Indian channel. It featured some Cuban recipes. Saw this rice recipe on it and since I don’t write down recipes, it’s what I remember. What I noticed in all Cuban recipes , spices were same and they were garlic, bay leaves, chili powder, cumin powder and oregano. I had black beans cooked in the fridge so before I forget I decided to make it.I thought oregano will give this rice a different taste. Here’s the recipe:
- Heat oil and add chopped garlic. Saute , throw bay leaf in.
- Then goes chopped onion and then chopped grape tomatoes.
- Now chopped colored pepper and cook.
- Add cooked black beans. I added tofu for extra protein. Alright it needed to be used so I threw it in.
- Add cumin powder , red chili powder , oregano.
- Now chef added some stock and I had made my Ayurvedic veggie soup so I took some water from it. Felt so smart to get this idea. Bonus point to self .
- Added left over cooked basmati rice. Add salt , mix well.
- Tada… Cuban rice ready.
- Oh wait, garnish with some home grown cilantro leaves.
- I don’t know how it taste yet since I made it for work lunch. So it will be a surprise tasting lunch tomorrow at work.
If one looks around Indian Vegetarian lunch box recipes for kids around net, it’s mostly this and that rice dishes. Rice doesn’t provide enough nutrients to growing kids. And roti and little curry sadly doesn’t either . I like Mexican dishes littler better. Why? Let’s break it down .
- First pinto beans , black beans provide good protein and so good for vegetarians. Easy to cook them home. No cans plz.
- You can sauté veggies like mushrooms, spinach , colored peppers and add them to it.
- Some fresh chopped lettuce , tomatoes, cilantro , green onion ,corn , pineapple are good to top with.
- Fresh Avocado is another good addition which will provide more nutrition and healthy fat. Make sure you use fresh. Aldi store has good avocados and they come very cheap often.
- You can add any extra like cheese and wrap it in a burrito or few chips on side or just have it like a salad.
- It’s easy and you can customize.
You want to give good foundation to kids, don’t you?
Adults can also enjoy this healthy, nutritious food. Start with yourself .
Today I made enchiladas with pinto beans and veggies. Left over will be tomorrow’s lunch to take to work. I had lettuce , avocado on the side and will do same for work. Pack a septum container with salad.
Today is India’s Independence Day. Are we really independent? We are slaves of our habit. Can’t function without our morning tea, coffee what not. We need our so called healthy Indian food most of the days . Right ? Well, we can always break a habit.
In India , people complain that things are not available. So here’s the idea to make fusion Mexican salad bowl with the ingredients available in India.
- Whenever I cook beans , I freeze some for rainy days. Today I used small red beans known as chori in gujarat.
- Sauté some shredded red cabbage , carrot and add spices you like. Cook only 2-3 minutes so it retains crunchiness.
- Add spices you like to beans and mix with cabbage . I added garlic powder, cumin powder , salt.
- Add some chopped tomatoes, salsa if you have , green onions, colored peppers, cilantro, cucumber.
- Avocado is available at some places so add that if you have.
- Add yogurt and cheese .
- You can also add some quinoa or different kind of Millets are available in India. No rice , no wheat plz.
- Isn’t it easy to put together a nice big bowl of salad no matter where you live .
- And it’s pretty filling.
- Enjoy !