Today is India’s Independence Day. Are we really independent? We are slaves of our habit. Can’t function without our morning tea, coffee what not. We need our so called healthy Indian food most of the days . Right ? Well, we can always break a habit.
In India , people complain that things are not available. So here’s the idea to make fusion Mexican salad bowl with the ingredients available in India.
- Whenever I cook beans , I freeze some for rainy days. Today I used small red beans known as chori in gujarat.
- Sauté some shredded red cabbage , carrot and add spices you like. Cook only 2-3 minutes so it retains crunchiness.
- Add spices you like to beans and mix with cabbage . I added garlic powder, cumin powder , salt.
- Add some chopped tomatoes, salsa if you have , green onions, colored peppers, cilantro, cucumber.
- Avocado is available at some places so add that if you have.
- Add yogurt and cheese .
- You can also add some quinoa or different kind of Millets are available in India. No rice , no wheat plz.
- Isn’t it easy to put together a nice big bowl of salad no matter where you live .
- And it’s pretty filling.
- Enjoy !
Are you the kind of adult who has to drink milk every day? Do you know what all kind of dairy products you eat everyday not realizing it’s after all dairy? All that butter , cheese , ghee ladden sweets, paneer etc etc. Hope you got the idea. Then try to go vegan for a week and see how you feel just for an experiment. Be your own judge and don’t cheat yourself. Be honest to self. Well, I thought of doing it myself but I hardly eat dairy. Only half cup milk as part of tea.
Am not paneer or dairy fan so my palak paneer always is without paneer. Everyone knows to throw chickpeas in it but Lima beans tasted really good. Here’s my simple vegan recipe.
- Heat peanut , coconut or olive oil and crack few cumin seeds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook it well.
- Add your spices and sauté for few seconds.
- Add fresh cooked spinach purée. I used fresh spinach bunch .
- Add cooked Lima beans and simmer on medium heat for few minutes.
- Simple , isn’t it? Tasted really good.
- If you are trying to diet, add more water and make it more soupy.
One should never start with “I” when you are writing is what I had read long back. But today I was tempted to start with “I absolutely love 7 layer dip”. If you have read anything around spirituality, then you probably know one of the question “who am I?” We always say I did , I like , I love so who is that I? We don’t know but it’s always abt “I”. My teacher says : When “I” takes back seat, god comes fore front.
Here’s the recipe I used. I have yet to taste it but gotta wait. I will serve with organic blue corn chips to make it more exotic.
People who are trying to avoid breads, using lettuce to wrap is a good idea and taste good too. I made a black bean burger and had one with bread but then I was still hungry and didn’t want to eat another roll so wrapped it in lettuce and liked it .Use 3-4 lettuce leaves to wrap it. I used only one and it was hard to hold it . If lettuce is not a available then you can use cabbage leaves too. May be you can put them in boiling water for a min if they are too hard for your taste. Here’s how easy it was to make black bean burger.
- Mash cooked black beans after draining water . Or you can use kidney beans too.
- Add chopped white onion, cumin powder, garlic powder , red chili powder or chili flakes.
- Add break crumbs and 1 tsp of flax seed powder . Adjust salt.
- Here’s the star ingredient at least for me. Add some chopped cilantro leaves. Or you can use green onions too.
- Make burger and shallow fry in olive oil or coconut oil.
- To assemble burger , take lettuce leaves and arrange burger , cheese, avocado, onion , tomatoe , ketchup on it. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Close with lettuce leaves.
- You can also eat burger with just ketchup. Black beans are good source of protein and remember you got your dose of flax seeds too.
- Yum !
Are you all on quinoa wagon or not yet? Better get onto it.I made this quickly today to eat after yoga class and turned out good so thought of sharing here.
Had some home cooked Black beans with water in it and wanted to eat them somehow.Here’s what I did.
- Cook some quinoa.
- Sauté tomatoes on other side. Add chopped veggies like peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, Broccoli etc.
- Add paste of ginger garlic and any other spice you like.
- Add black beans with water.
- Add salt and let it boil. Basically it’s like chilli or any bean curry u make but with veggies.
- Add cooked quinoa and done.Keep it thick like stew.
- Rich in protein and you get all veggies too.
- Makes a good lunch to take to work too. Easy to eat.
- Enjoy !