Did you like title ? We all want to celebrate festivals that we grew up with because they are fun. Adds little fun to season , routin life. But we have to see what works in today’s life. Lot of things are according to season and it had some reason behind it . Depending on where we live now, it may/may not make sense. We can still have fun but can improvise things.
Today I did it for dudh poha. Dairy is another food people are having allergies. Now a days there are so many different kind of milk available that we should try I feel. Why get stuck on dairy? Almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk what not.
Made dudh poha with almond milk. Used unsweetened almond milk and added some grated jaggery. Turned out yummy and I actually liked it better.
Enjoy your dudh poha new way and more important go out side and look at the moon. How many times you have looked up to sky on full moon ? It’s very pretty.
Everyone knows how imp is to drink water and kidney needs water to filter out all toxins. Most of the people think they drink plenty of water but experiment 1 day and measure how much water you drank. How much one needs varies depending on your activity , life style. So figure out how much you should be drinking (Google to find out how much. Lot of websites with good guidance)and see if you really drank enough. Our bodies are around 70% water and earth is also 70% water. Yes, I did measure today and was little short than where I would like to be.
Am asked many times abt drinking water during meal. So here’s what Ayurveda recommends and its working for me.
- Drink a glass of water 30 mins before meal.
- Chew your food well. Food is mainly water too so if you chew well then you won’t feel the need to drink water but if you have to, then drink.
- Drink a glass after 1 hr of meal. It’s ok to drink little after meal to clean mouth.
- And don’t forget to drink water first thing in the morning.
- So teach kids too by example. I see lot of kids don’t drink water at all.
Hope this helps!
Enjoy water and you will feel, look better too !
Kodri or Foxtail Millet kichadi, i already posted and this is same thing with lots of veggies and little ayurvedic trick i did. So as you know, Ayurveda is a way of life. So made kodri with loads of veggies and used little bit of my ayurvedic knowledge. Here’s how i did:
- Soak mung dal for 30-40 mins so it will get cooked fast.
- Take a thick bottom pan, boil water and then add mung dal. Cook it for 5 mins and then add kodri.
- Now add some fresh shredded ginger, freshly crushed black pepper and salt.
- When it’s all cooked,switch of stove and add veggies. Adjust salt, close lid and let veggies cook in the khichadi steam for 10 mins. This way veggies are just tender and not over cooked.
- The thing mainly i pointed out was, i hear ppl saying “loads of veggies” when all they had was few peas and carrot.
- Loads of veggie meaning there are more veggies, more variety and less of other stuff. Isn’t it?
- I added mushroom, carrot, broccoli, cabbage and what not.
- You can add a tsp of ghee on top while eating if you like and keep more or less watery depending on your like.
- As you can see i used only ginger and black pepper for spices which we use in fasting and are relatively mild.
- Question of the day: “Have you learned to swim thro’ life?”
- Enjoy !
Ayurveda is ancient indian healing science if you didn’t know. Our body is made of 5 elements earth, water, fire, air and ether. Ayurveda divided 5 elements in 3 forces Vata (air+ether), Pitta(fire+water) and Kapha(earth+water). As long as all 3 forces are in harmony, we are healthy both physically and mentally.
Prakruti meaning nature and we generally lean more towards 1 of three forces. And that’s the one generally goes out of balace first, creating related problems. So it’s good to know what your prakruti is so that you can take care of yourself better and you know what your weaknesses and strengths are both mentally and physically.
When vata, pitta or kapha goes out of balance, it’s called dosha. And it’s easier to bring it back into balance, harmony in the initial stage.
For example, i am vata-pitta. 1 of my weakness being vata is i can get confused or cannot make up my mind. When i like something like some dress and if i like 2 colors, i will have a very hard time selecting one. But knowing it has helped me and am more aware. Other vata problems I get into is constipation, dry skin, dry cough. Knowing it ,has helped me avoid or I know how to fix right away.
So if you do not know your ayurvedic prakruti, see if there’s anyone around you who knows ayurveda and can help you find your prakruti.
Once you know your prakruti, you will be able to work with yourself little better.
Every time I do Ayurveda session , I learn something new , interesting. Last week 1 friend asked for it. So We sat down with my usual things. And she kept saying things abt her husband. No matter what I ask , tell her she would go back to talk abt her husband. May be 2 words for her and 10 mins abt husband who was not present for session.
Finally I blurted out . Let’s talk abt you . And then we did session for her . At the end, that thing clicked to her that it’s always abt others and she is not doing anything for herself .
Few days later, she did tell me that it was an eye opening for her and she started paying more attention now.
Wasn’t that amazing that we are so unaware of our problem and go around trying to fix others?
Picture is from a nc mountain where I had gone for hiking and loved the set up. I would love to do Ayurveda session there. Indian ppl who know ancient times when students used to live with Rishis, it looked like that to me.
Enjoy yourself !