How do you do grocery shopping? What’s the strategy? If you don’t have strategy, now is the time. Reduce your trip to grocery stores. Sharing some of my tips which I always do and I am still able to do same.
These are just some of the ideas. Before heading to the store ,make a list and see you can last longer without going to store. Buy only when you ate up most of the things. We should try zero waste at least for now .
Navratri started from today and so I am fasting . It’s modified eating. Lunch was mango and some roasted salt less peanuts.
So, what’s your strategy? Think smart if you think you are smart.
Follow the guidelines.
- Buy fresh produce, fruits 1st . There are some vegetables, fruits which will stay good for longer on counter , fridge and some fruits need some ripening time.
- Mix and match. Buy some vegetables like potatoes,sweet potatoes, pepper , carrots , winter squashes that will stay good after a week. Produce that goes bad quickly eat them first. Like spinach and other greens.
- Oranges , apples etc will last for a while. Berries eat first.
- Then buy some frozen vegetables. When no fresh produce , you can use them . You still have those root vegetables to eat.
- Buy beans in a bag not the containers of cooked bins. Cans are for emergency. Raw Beans soaked and cooked makes a lot. Good protein. You don’t need to be vegetarian to eat beans.
- If you have rice , quinoa, few different flour stored, then you will reduce grocery trips.
- Try to make bread at home.
- Shop your pantry . You might find good things that you can eat.
- Start garden and see what you can grow.
Last time I went to Indian store, bought Bitter gourds. Have been eating every day little bit. Little bitter every day.
Ppl remove bitterness from bitter gourd but than it’s no good. Don’t add any sweetener either.
Now I ran out of bitter gourds so finding other things.
Have fun !
- Methi seeds. Boil in water and make tea.
- Roast methi seeds and make powder. Take tsp of powder every day.
- I have dry neem leaves. Can make tea from it.
Made this tomato soup from 1 tomato . Why? Soup from 1 tomato will last for 2 meals. Will keep me full and anyways working from home we tend to eat more so soup is a better choice. Don’t believe me ? Get on scale.
Soup you can freeze too if you are worried what to eat if you get sick.
Make your favorite soup , make it extra watery and eat some , freeze some.
Stay home if possible.
Sun Salutations is 1 of the way to stay centered.
- Do 12 everyday or few rounds morning and evening.
Lot of us are home bound now and so thought of sharing some of ideas. Generally am good with coming up with unique ideas so let’s see what we find today. Also do what gets your attention,speak to you. Be comfortable. There’s nothing right or wrong.
- Think of alternatives. Make a game out of it and you can get all family including kids involved. Like if we don’t have toilet papers , what can we use? Water anyone? Think of grandparents who lived on little around nature. At my grandma’s place, ash was used to disinfect. Well most of us won’t have ash around but hope you got the idea. I like tea but if I don’t have tea, I can just boil some water and have mint growing in pot so make mint tea. Like that…
Clean the house. You don’t want to sit in front of tv all day. It will give you some exercise too. Vacuum whole house which I did.
Clean closet and make a pile of clothes that needs to be donated. You can use some of old tee etc to clean the house instead of paper towel. Involve kids to clean their room when possible.
Clean fridge. You will be surprised how much food you have.
Clean pantry. Same you will have plenty to eat for a year probably.
Clean office and all papers.
If you have seeds and potting soil , start garden or pots.
You can go out for a walk, ride bike just in your community.
Read a book, knitting , painting , musical instruments etc hobbies. that ppl complain no time generally.
Play cards or some other games.
Watch cooking , comedy shows which will help you relax.
Relaxation cds, yoga videos that you always wanted to try. Now is the time.
You can do japa of your favorite mantra. Keep the same time and place as much as possible.
There’s plenty of things you can do if you want to. So use the time.