Navsari is where I grew up. Last time I visited in winter, I was told by family I can’t leave without eating Ubadiyu. So one day nephew and I went to get it. It’s generally made on highway. They make in earthen pot and open fire and what not. And it’s very very spicy. Served with green chutney and butter milk.
Tailored to my liking and with things available in this hometown. Basically, it’s roasted vegetables with spices. Here’s my version and you can make your version.
- 4 vegetables are used in Ubadiyu. Papdi, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam. No papdi ? Use edamame, green beans .
- Wash and marinate papdi in salt for 2-3 hrs.
- Cut other vegetables in chunks. I left skin on potatoes.
- Take a big vessel to mix everything. Take ginger, green chilli paste, ajmo (carom seeds), turmeric powder, red chili powder , coriander-cumin powder , sesame seeds. Add little peanut oil. Now add papdi and mix . Add other vegetables and mix everything. Add salt as needed.
- If you have green garlic, add it.
- Take a baking dish and oil it. Add prepared vegetables.
- Roast it covered with foil paper at 375 for 1 hr.
- Yum ! It’s cold here so I skipped buttermilk and I made way less spicy.
- Makes a filling meal and no need of anything else .
- It’s more fun to eat with friends and family. It’s an experience.
- If you visit south gujarat , India in winter time, you know what to eat now.