No one wants to buy what I want to buy at store so good for me. Went to grocery store and saw a bag Of locally produced mustard greens so cheap and it looked so fresh. Top of it, No one in fresh vegetable area. Score … I bought some and made it right away.
Plenty of greens you see in spring at store generally but this year it’s all different. Greens are good to eat in spring . I am only eating cooked though this year.
Made Indian way mixed with some spinach I had and homemade paneer . It was so tasty. You can sauté with some spinach and throw some chick peas into it. It will taste good.
Mahabharata is an epic story from India. In 80’s we had a very good show on it. Title song is very good and I thought some of you might enjoy it even though you may not understand the language. Give it a shot. It is 2-3 mins only.
Buckwheat khichadi made in electric pressure cooker.
- Add buckwheat groat 1 cup with 2 cups of water in cooker.
- Add chopped potatoes.
- Add sindhov salt .
- Cook for 15 minutes. Time varies depending on your cooker and groats.
- You can just cook on stove to too.
- Season by crackling some cumin seeds, black pepper powder.
- You can add lemon juice and little sugar.
- Add roasted cashews , peanuts or any nuts you like.
- Garnish with cilantro .
- Gluten free khichadi ready.
Are you doing Navratri? Well, even if you are not, this Navratri thali was very tasty. I probably ate too much . Oops…
Rajgira roti – no potatoes in it. It’s gluten free.
Sweet potato cooked in coconut oil. Crackled some cumin seeds in it and fresh black pepper powder and Sindhov salt. Add some roasted cashews or any nuts you like.
Try to eat different or just skip 1 of your big meal this Navratri and observe changes.
How do you do grocery shopping? What’s the strategy? If you don’t have strategy, now is the time. Reduce your trip to grocery stores. Sharing some of my tips which I always do and I am still able to do same.
These are just some of the ideas. Before heading to the store ,make a list and see you can last longer without going to store. Buy only when you ate up most of the things. We should try zero waste at least for now .
Navratri started from today and so I am fasting . It’s modified eating. Lunch was mango and some roasted salt less peanuts.
So, what’s your strategy? Think smart if you think you are smart.
Follow the guidelines.
- Buy fresh produce, fruits 1st . There are some vegetables, fruits which will stay good for longer on counter , fridge and some fruits need some ripening time.
- Mix and match. Buy some vegetables like potatoes,sweet potatoes, pepper , carrots , winter squashes that will stay good after a week. Produce that goes bad quickly eat them first. Like spinach and other greens.
- Oranges , apples etc will last for a while. Berries eat first.
- Then buy some frozen vegetables. When no fresh produce , you can use them . You still have those root vegetables to eat.
- Buy beans in a bag not the containers of cooked bins. Cans are for emergency. Raw Beans soaked and cooked makes a lot. Good protein. You don’t need to be vegetarian to eat beans.
- If you have rice , quinoa, few different flour stored, then you will reduce grocery trips.
- Try to make bread at home.
- Shop your pantry . You might find good things that you can eat.
- Start garden and see what you can grow.