Recipe source as shown in picture : Ayurvedic Cooking for Self -Healing by Usha Lad & Dr. Vasant Lad.
Dr. Lad is a pioneer in Ayurveda and has done excellent work in spreading Ayurvedic knowledge.
Here’s the steps I followed for soup :
- Clean fresh spinach leaves , few cilantro leaves. Blend them with water , green chili and fresh ginger according to your taste.
- Heat ghee in a pot. Crack mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Add few curry leaves and hing.
- Add puréed spinach , salt. Simmer for some time. Add Black pepper according to taste .
- Soup is good for asthma, as a blood builder and decongestant according to book.
Starting a meal with soup is a good idea and this soup is so easy to make and take few minutes. Good for vegetarian women who are looking for iron rich food.
Broccoli is very handy when you want a healthy, quick side dish or healthy ingredient to throw in something . It has good fiber which you will realize next day and is nutritious too. I like to steam some as a side dish to go with Bataka poha too.
This curry goes well with roti and it’s so quick to make . Here’s the simple , efficient way to make. And eat it right away.
- Heat a tsp of oil. While oil is heating , chop tomatoes roughly.
- Add cumin seeds to oil. Once they crack, add tomatoes and cook.
- Now start cleaning broccoli florets .
- Add dry spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add broccoli florets , salt and mix. Add little water.
- Cover and cook for 2 -3 minutes. You want to cook broccoli just right.
- Serve with roti , paratha .
- It’s easy to eat good , yummy food and it’s quick too.
After work, I stopped by at a grocery store and this store was on the way to home so I always went there and so knew owner . He told me something very interesting that day . He said “he puts out vegetables that’s going bad on sale on a certain day and all this ppl who come to buy , come in luxury cars. Why don’t they spend money on buying fresh vegetables? ” Well, he had a point .
People invest in things , not in life. Invest in life , what is important. Good food is investing in health. If you invest in health then you will be able to do things you enjoy in life . Aging cannot be stopped but we can still work on maintenance.
Picture is from Chinese New Year Celebration where I did India table .
Now a days we all use calendar to keep up with all meeting , appointments etc right ? Check your calendar and see if you have something fun on calendar. Nothing ? Bummer. Go ahead and plan something fun. It can be something small like coffee break with friend or a walk with colleagues or lunch, breakfast with friends , colleagues .
I like to have fun things planned and actually I enjoy planning fun things too since my head is always full of ideas . For example this week is so warm so I planned y’day a trail walk at work with colleagues and we all enjoyed walking today. We all were tired afterwards b/c since it’s winter ppl are not walking. It was a good wake up call. Then I plan Indian or new restaurant lunches , pot lucks . I am part of diversity team so there are always events there too. We are celebrating Chinese New Year this week.
Point is have fun in weekdays too and try new things . You will stay active mentally, physically and will do better in whatever you do. Life will be fun and you will worry less abt those wrinkles, age that we all are so worked up now a days. If you feel good , then that’s all matters.
Indian diet is high on rice and wheat so I like to break it and use other things regularly. That doesn’t mean white bread though. This dhokli is made of bajra/millet. There’s little wheat flour but that’s ok. It tasted pretty good and with a salad or some steamed/roasted vegetables on the side , will make a good meal. I wasn’t too hungry after having a big “prasad” god sent me today for lunch.:-)
Here’s the recipe. It’s very simple to make. I skipped sugar.