What does Ayurveda mean ? Veda meaning science and Ayu meaning life span / life . Any food that gives life is Ayurvedic. We make everything so complicated and end up going away from truth. Keep things simple. Simple recipes that takes little time in kitchen are most of the time much life giver . Today’s soup turned out so good that I had to share the recipe. I had 3 big bowls.
Soup doesn’t mean open this and that can and boil.
Soup meaning for me is add all the fresh vegetables , simmer with lots of water and mash little bit. Here’s how I made today.
- Heat very little olive oil, add chopped garlic . Fresh by the way not from bottle.
- Add chopped red onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add bay leaf.
- Add chopped fresh tomatoes and sauté few minutes while you cut all vegetables.
- I added chopped Bok Choy stalk , carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower.
- Add lots of water. Add a piece of fresh ginger , salt and pepper.
- Boil and then simmer on medium/low for an hr while you vacuum or finish other chores.
- Take a potato masher and mash some veggies inside. Yum !
- I love cilantro and so threw few leaves in it.
- Drink it up. It’s so good. It has little kick because of spices which I loved.
- It’s winter time so soup is always a good idea to start the meal with. Or sometimes it’s good to just have some soup and give stomach a break.
- Let me know when you try it .
There are lots of recipes for cauliflower paratha. My basic version is like this :
- Shred cauliflower and add chopped cilantro leaves, dry spice powders and salt.I added pav bhaji masala. Yay. I saw this trick on vah re vah to add butter to the mixture . So I added little softened butter.
- Make paratha as usual.
- Tip for Raita: add some chia seeds to yogurt and let it sit for a while . Will make yogurt thick and some more nutritious. Sprinkle some pomegranate seeds on top.
Sweet potatoes are on sale everywhere and they looked like new fresh crop. So obviously I bought them. You can always figure out recipe later. They are rich in vitamin A also. During holidays here , mashed sweet potatoes are popular and halwa is little Indian way of making it. Try it this new way to impress your holiday guests or just something new to try.
Recipe is pretty simple.
- Boil sweet potatoes and peel, mash it.
- Heat unsalted butter or coconut oil and sauté mashed sweet potatoes for few minutes to make it little dry.
- Add little milk and cook again to make it little dry. Add little sugar. Since potatoes are already sweet, you just need sugar for milk portion.
- Let it all come together like a mass.
- Add some cardamom powder.
- On the side , roast some cashew in butter. And garnish halwa with it.
- It’s still sweet so portion control. What I like is that it will have some fiber and vitamins too.
- Make sure you go for a walk before , after eating holiday meals.
- Merry Christmas!!!
In today’s instant world, we need instant breakfast recipes too. This corn rava dhokl is instant , tasty and hmmm not too nutritious. There’s some corn and cilantro in it. Add some chutney with it to add some nutrition and sprinkle some pomegranate on it , Recipe here:
I used frozen corn and microwaved it . Also added some frozen corn in batter to add little something to chew in it.
As I was roaming around Indian grocery store , saw thalipeeth mix and of course I had to buy it. I have tried thalipeeth before and basically it’s multi grain flour mix but this pkg has more different grains and millet. Also I never had authentic thalipeeth so wanted to see what it taste like. And it tasted so good . Earthy flavor and reminded me of Indian village food .
Instructions, recipe is on the pkg and i just followed it . It’s very simple . Add some chopped onion, cilantro, yogurt , water and mix.
I had with yogurt and Brussels sprouts which are so much in season right now. Make it look festive by throwing some pomegranate seeds. We all need some antioxidants.