Do you buy fresh brown coconut? Do you know how to pick good one ? Here’s the trick I use . Take coconut close to ear and shake it. If you hear plenty of water inside , it will be good. Try few and you will know the difference. I drink the water even though I don’t like it. Make fresh chutney with coriander and freeze rest of the coconut pieces. They store well and I take out few every time I am making chutney. Just soak in water for some time and it will soften up.
I have been making this buckwheat dosas and really liking it. I should actually call it buckwheat flavored dosa. I add big spoonful of buckwheat flour after grinding my regular brown rice dosa batter. It gives nice taste to dosa which am loving right now.
I might try more things with coconut. I have never made coconut milk or yogurt.
In India, coconut is offered to good and on some auspicious occasion , coconut is broken and everyone gets a piece of it. If it’s good to offer god then got to be good for us too. Isn’t it?
Enjoy Coconut !
Mango makes everything sunny and yummy if you love mango. Here’s an idea for a yummy salad.
- Cook quinoa and what almost done , add some broccoli florets.
- Add some chopped mango, avocado, green onion or cilantro.
- Sprinkle some salt and lemon juice.
- Take a bite .
- Enjoy !
Don’t judge the book by cover . Here don’t judge a dish by picture. I take bad photos of dish. Poppy seed also know as Khus khus is made into curry and I used to love this dish growing up. First time I made it and having it after probably more than 2 decades . I still loved it and I was able to get same taste . Here’s how I made it.
- Soak 1/4th cup poppy seeds in water for an hr. Drain it and grind/blend with little water .
- Heat mustard oil and add 1 big finely chopped onion. You need good amount of onion in this curry. Sauté until brown.
- Add red chili powder, little bit coriander- cumin powder, ginger garlic paste. Add salt but be careful. Add only little.
- Add poppy paste and cook few minutes.
- That’s it. Easy breezy and very tasty.
- Goes very well with roti. I am limiting wheat in diet but this curry I had to eat with a roti.
- Warning : If you have a drug taste coming up, don’t eat this curry day before. It will show false results.
Have you ever had Ethiopian food? It won’t hurt to try. Some of us yoga friends went for dinner and everyone enjoyed. We live in a global world , 21st century. Is that right ? So many options, so many opportunities. Why get stuck ? Expand your horizon and try new cuisines if it’s available where you live .
Moringa is new super food now a days and its seeds are edible too. Of course they are nutritious and lot of health nuts like me are eating them. I found them at local Indian store but they are available on Amazon too.
Package says eat 2 a day. Do your research and see if they appeal to you. It will be an acquired taste.