Are you wondering what’s happening with navratri fast? I had planned to do for 3 days and on 4th day which was Wednesday, I had arranged a lunch at local new indo- Chinese restaurant a while back. Didn’t know navratri dates at that time. Well, everything always work out. I was able to do 3 days as that’s all I wanted to do. And lot of my colleagues, friends from work showed up for lunch. Everyone wanted to try indo- Chinese food.
Other thing that fell in place was I had planned Ayurvedic spring tips at work diversity event . Of course long back on March 20th not knowing that was 1st day of spring. 1 lady came to our location specially just to learn Ayurveda. People do make an effort when they want to learn something and others just keep finding excuses.
So what came out of navratri fast? Am trying new restaurants, new cuisines and planning to arrange more lunch for my coworkers. Everyone loves food and it’s easy to try in a group because we all drive each other to try something new.
Today I tried a new Mediterranean place. Falafel wrap I had before but lentil soup is 1st time and I liked it.
This is the first time am doing Chaitra Navratri fasting. Chaitra Navratri comes in spring time and good time to fast as we all know. If you look at what we can eat, same recommendations which didn’t make sense to me. We are coming out of cold winter days and getting ready for summer . I was thinking food needs to be different. If you read this space , you know spring time is when we see lots of greens , sprouts . Earth is warming up and so good to eat those tender greens and sprouts. Fast or no fast.
Finally realization happens that We should eat greens instead of root vegetables that we eat during fall navratri. So I made samo rice with spinach and it tasted so good. Even if you are not fasting, you can make this. Good to pack in lunch. Easy breezy to make . Here’s the recipe:
- Heat coconut oil. Crack cumin seeds and add few whole peppercorns. Add raw peanuts and sauté for a min so peanuts turn crunchy.
- Add samo rice with water. Add sindhov salt. Cover and cook until half done.
- Add chopped spinach. Cover and cook again until done .
- Yummy. Don’t believe me . Try yourself.
- You can also add green peas which are also in season during spring.
Do you clean your home , drawer,attic etc upon arrival of spring? What about body which is our 1st home through out the stay on earth? In India, different season ,time has all different religious activities and part of it is fasting. Now a days we do celebrate but minus fasting. We need to relearn importance of fasting during season change.
We all ate lot of heavy food during winter and body needs to adjust to warm, hot weather so give it little rest and it will serve you better. Here’s few ideas :
- Skip one meal a day that you are dependent on. It could be breakfast, lunch ,dinner whatever it is. That’s all.
- Change the diet. If you are heavy on meal, become vegetarian for a week. If you are heavy on dairy, go vegan. If you eat nuts every day, go on vegetables. Whatever you do every day, change it.
- Navratri starting today so good time to fast. Eat light meals , 1 time. Remember it’s fasting and not feasting.
- Whatever you decide to do,keep it simple and don’t make a huge project out of it.
- If you are a heavy coffee drinker , smoker or something like that, just skip coffee , cigarette, alcohol for a week or 9 days. You know yourself best and know what you need to do.
Happy Navratri !
This is just another moringo idea and it tasted good. You can cook same way you cook methi with potatoes. Next time I wil cook with chickpeas. Moringo is rich in protein so will be good with another protein source instead of potatoes. I must admit I love potatoes.
You can also sauté moringo just like you would do spinach. Little olive oil , garlic and lemon juice. I think it will taste good.
When comes to travel, everyone I hear wants to travel to Europe. Europe is huge and so diverse. I wonder if ppl know what they want to see, experience. One of my dream travel is Iran. Until I visit , at least I can make food and eat. May Buddha blesses me.😊 Since am making all this Persian food, hope Iran will invite me.
Recipe I followed is here:
Since am vegetarian, I omitted meat. Here’s how I made it.
- Soak yellow split peas in water for an hr so will cook fast. They are available at most of the American grocery store.
- Cook them in water and a stick of cinnamon until just done and are not mushy.
- On the side, heat olive oil and sauté zucchini sticks like seen in picture for few mins. Cook them lightly and remove on a plate.
- Sauté chopped onion with crushed garlic. Add red chili powder, turmeric, black pepper powder. Add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Add onion tomato mixture to dal and simmer on low heat. Add salt.
- Add zucchini sticks at the end just before serving.