Drumstick leaves also known as moringa leaves are very nutritious and now a days it falls under super food category. You will see it’s powder in health food stores and at t j max too. One of my friend is very fond of it and she carries powder while traveling for protein. She makes tea with powder and drink it. They are rich in calcium, iron so good for vegetarians like me.
Today first time I found them at new local Indian store and had to buy a bunch. They looked so fresh and so I decided to cook right away and not store in the fridge. I followed recipe from vah re vah and dal came out too good. Must try. So easy to make too.
- Take out just the leaves from drumstick stalks. Take a big bowl with water and immerse them in water. All bad stuff will sink down. Important to rinse and clean them well. Yes, I saw caterpillar and was happy that I was cleaning as suggested.
- Boil Tuvar dal as usual and keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil. Season with mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Throw torn red chilies. Add whole garlic cloves few and then chopped onion. Sauté for 2-3 mins. Add little salt.
- Add leaves and tamarind juice according to how sour you like.
- Add boiled dal. Add some red chili powder, salt.
- Let it boil for few mins. If not enough sour, add some lemon juice.
- Seriously very yummy. I loved it.
- Here’s the link to the video: