This is the first time am doing Chaitra Navratri fasting. Chaitra Navratri comes in spring time and good time to fast as we all know. If you look at what we can eat, same recommendations which didn’t make sense to me. We are coming out of cold winter days and getting ready for summer . I was thinking food needs to be different. If you read this space , you know spring time is when we see lots of greens , sprouts . Earth is warming up and so good to eat those tender greens and sprouts. Fast or no fast.
Finally realization happens that We should eat greens instead of root vegetables that we eat during fall navratri. So I made samo rice with spinach and it tasted so good. Even if you are not fasting, you can make this. Good to pack in lunch. Easy breezy to make . Here’s the recipe:
- Heat coconut oil. Crack cumin seeds and add few whole peppercorns. Add raw peanuts and sauté for a min so peanuts turn crunchy.
- Add samo rice with water. Add sindhov salt. Cover and cook until half done.
- Add chopped spinach. Cover and cook again until done .
- Yummy. Don’t believe me . Try yourself.
- You can also add green peas which are also in season during spring.
Do you clean your home , drawer,attic etc upon arrival of spring? What about body which is our 1st home through out the stay on earth? In India, different season ,time has all different religious activities and part of it is fasting. Now a days we do celebrate but minus fasting. We need to relearn importance of fasting during season change.
We all ate lot of heavy food during winter and body needs to adjust to warm, hot weather so give it little rest and it will serve you better. Here’s few ideas :
- Skip one meal a day that you are dependent on. It could be breakfast, lunch ,dinner whatever it is. That’s all.
- Change the diet. If you are heavy on meal, become vegetarian for a week. If you are heavy on dairy, go vegan. If you eat nuts every day, go on vegetables. Whatever you do every day, change it.
- Navratri starting today so good time to fast. Eat light meals , 1 time. Remember it’s fasting and not feasting.
- Whatever you decide to do,keep it simple and don’t make a huge project out of it.
- If you are a heavy coffee drinker , smoker or something like that, just skip coffee , cigarette, alcohol for a week or 9 days. You know yourself best and know what you need to do.
Happy Navratri !
This is just another moringo idea and it tasted good. You can cook same way you cook methi with potatoes. Next time I wil cook with chickpeas. Moringo is rich in protein so will be good with another protein source instead of potatoes. I must admit I love potatoes.
You can also sauté moringo just like you would do spinach. Little olive oil , garlic and lemon juice. I think it will taste good.
When comes to travel, everyone I hear wants to travel to Europe. Europe is huge and so diverse. I wonder if ppl know what they want to see, experience. One of my dream travel is Iran. Until I visit , at least I can make food and eat. May Buddha blesses me.😊 Since am making all this Persian food, hope Iran will invite me.
Recipe I followed is here:
Since am vegetarian, I omitted meat. Here’s how I made it.
- Soak yellow split peas in water for an hr so will cook fast. They are available at most of the American grocery store.
- Cook them in water and a stick of cinnamon until just done and are not mushy.
- On the side, heat olive oil and sauté zucchini sticks like seen in picture for few mins. Cook them lightly and remove on a plate.
- Sauté chopped onion with crushed garlic. Add red chili powder, turmeric, black pepper powder. Add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Add onion tomato mixture to dal and simmer on low heat. Add salt.
- Add zucchini sticks at the end just before serving.
Yes yes am on moringo band vegan. I had bought huge bunch and so trying out different recipes. I also bought seeds from amazon so I will even plant them. Again recipe is from vahrevah and it’s very simple. I made some changes. Here’s what I did.
- Soak brown rice with tuvar dal and Chana dal adding few whole red chilies. I used same quantity of rice and 2 dals. You should be able to use any dal you like. I soaked for 3-4 hrs.
- Before blending, add few curry leaves and I added few small pieces of coconuts. Blend everything with little water. Keep it thick and coarse.
- Add salt , little hing and lots of chopped moringa leaves.
- Now cook on tava. First time cover with lid and second time cook uncovered. It takes time to cook.
- Enjoy with chutney and sambhar. I had with y’day’s left over moringa dal.
- You can make batter previous night and make in the morning for breakfast to eat with chutney.
- I think you should be able to make methi puda replacing methi with moringo.
- Moringo/drumstick leaves are very nutritious if you don’t know yet.
Here’s the link: