Have you ever experienced that you go for lunch/dinner at someone’s house and find something that you always make but taste so awesome? Because same old lentil , grain , vegetable or whatever it is cooked different way. Well, we can create same experience at home too. We don’t need to be so stuck with our traditional ways of cooking everything. Did I encourage you enough? 🙂
Here’s how I made Chana Dal Bengali way. It’s lightly spiced. Recipe source :http://www.bongcookbook.com/2009/11/cholar-dal-uppity-chana-dal.html?m=1
- Pressure cook Chana Dal so that it retains little shape and not mushy . It’s ok if you ended up with all mushy too.
- Heat ghee (need very little)and sauté whole spices cardamom, clove, cinnamon, bay leaf and red chilies.
- Add Dal , salt, turmeric powder. I also added ginger paste. For any beans , lentil I always add ginger to avoid gas. Boil for few mins.
- Add thinly sliced coconut pieces. You can also add raisin but I didn’t .
- Tada.. Bengali Dal ready.