Kodri or Foxtail Millet kichadi, i already posted and this is same thing with lots of veggies and little ayurvedic trick i did. So as you know, Ayurveda is a way of life. So made kodri with loads of veggies and used little bit of my ayurvedic knowledge. Here’s how i did:
- Soak mung dal for 30-40 mins so it will get cooked fast.
- Take a thick bottom pan, boil water and then add mung dal. Cook it for 5 mins and then add kodri.
- Now add some fresh shredded ginger, freshly crushed black pepper and salt.
- When it’s all cooked,switch of stove and add veggies. Adjust salt, close lid and let veggies cook in the khichadi steam for 10 mins. This way veggies are just tender and not over cooked.
- The thing mainly i pointed out was, i hear ppl saying “loads of veggies” when all they had was few peas and carrot.
- Loads of veggie meaning there are more veggies, more variety and less of other stuff. Isn’t it?
- I added mushroom, carrot, broccoli, cabbage and what not.
- You can add a tsp of ghee on top while eating if you like and keep more or less watery depending on your like.
- As you can see i used only ginger and black pepper for spices which we use in fasting and are relatively mild.
- Question of the day: “Have you learned to swim thro’ life?”
- Enjoy !
Let’s try to plan a dinner menu which will be nutritious, fun, easy and astrologically harmonious too.
Sunday: Rajma + wheat paratha with a side of tomato, onion, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, carrot salad.
Monday: Mung dal with cauliflower, roti and side of same kind of sunday salad. https://justlunchideas.com/2013/03/17/mung-dal-with-cauliflower/
Tuesday: Masoor with roti and side of steamed or roasted vegetables like mushroom,broccoli, carrot, colored peppers etc.
Wednesday: Mung sprouts with roti and side of salad, tomato soup or tomato rasam. (Start your sporut process on Tuesday morning)
Thursday: Kala Chana (Black chickpeas) curry with paratha and side of steamed or roasted veggies.
Friday: Lima beans or any kind of beans with your choice of salad or veggies.
Saturday: Black beans burritos (exception here) or urad dal with roti. Some links for saturday recipes:
This is another simple sattvik curry you can make in few mins. You don’t need to spend hrs in kitchen to cook nourishing food. Little planning ahead is all needed.
- Boil sprouted Chana with a piece of ginger and add some salt half way. Cool until done. You can do this step while working or doing some other work.
- When time to eat, heat little olive oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, 1 torn red or green chili.
- Now add washed spinach leaves. Add boiled Chana without water and adjust salt. Cook only for a minute or 2 until spinach is wilted.
- Use left over Chana with water in soup or rasam.
- And yes, don’t forget to serve with fresh lemon. Will help with digestion.
- Simple sattvik curry ready !
- Enjoy !
*sattvik meaning nourishing food which will not agitate body or mind after eating.
Mudras are easy way to change energy and there’s a whole science with thousands of mudras. In some Tibet monasteries, have seen lots of mudra pictures. Also in traditional indian dances, they have lots of mudras. Have learned few basic ones that helps in day to day lives. Recently i made a frame of mudras for home yoga room. My thought behind is that some visitors may find it interesting and will want to try it. Let’s see how it goes. If nothing else, it will make an interesting conversation piece. People at photo center liked it very much and 1 person told me oh it’s a sign language. 🙂
Alright, so the 1st picture is Hakini Mudra. All finger tips touching each other. When do you want to do it? That’s the interesting part. When you are in a boring meeting and starts day dreaming but need to be in a present moment, keep your hands in this mudra under the table or even on the table. No one will question you. Hakini mudra will help you stay aware in a moment and you will stop day dreaming. Believe me it works. Yep, have tried in my boring meetings.
Check my earlier posts abt more mudras.
Other interesting project i have in my mind is making a calendar for next year. If you have liked any post on justlunchideas, that you feel should make an entry on calendar, do share. And if you would like to have calendar for yourself or to gift friends, family, let me know. Only for USA.
ps: If you know palmistry, do not try to read my hand. 🙂