- Today is sharad purnima which is celebrated in Gujarat. I do not know how ppl celebrate now a days but while growing up, it was simple. We eat dudh poha with sugar and or jaggery. Some dudh poha is kept outside under moon light and then we have that as prasad and we can eat dudh poha as much as we like. Also bhajiyas were made. That was all for dinner on sharad purnima.
- Everyone sits outside in moon light and there was a big ground where ppl would gather and have “Ghari”. Ghari is a sweet associated with this day.
- Reason for eating dudh poha on this day according to ayurveda , is to pacify pitta which generally increases during this time of year.
- Sitting out under moon light also pacifies pitta.
- I made bhajiyas and even left dudh poha outside for sometime so it absorbs some moon light. It really tasted great and it was fun to do it. 🙂
- Moon is very beautiful on sharad purnima. Do check it out.
- Enjoy !
Updating this post since some ppl are looking for dudh poha recipe:
- Tomm 8th oct is sharad purnima this year 2014.
- Wash poha in water and remove all water. Leave it aside for 10 mins. Add cold milk, sugar or jaggery depending on your taste.
- If you want to keep it outside under moon light, cover it with cotton cloth or put a lid. If you are just standing there then it’s ok to keep it open i guess.
- Have fun !