- This is a very popular and very very yummy gujju combination. Mango ras made from fresh mangoes. Peel mango and blend it with very LITTLE water only if needed. In india, we strain mango pulp to remove fiber but now a days diet is lacking in fiber so you can omit this step. Use good sweet mangoes so no need to add extra sugar. Also mango is very heating, so if you want to remove heat, soak mangoes in water for 30 mins. Thanks Dr Svobda for this tip. As a child, my job was to soak mangoes in water whenever ras was made @home but never knew the reason and eventually this step was omitted. But now it’s back into game. 🙂
- Patra is frozen. Buy plain and do your own seasoning with mustard seeds and sesame seeds. That way you can cut back on so much oil that comes with ready-made seasoned ones.
- Val dal is very easy to cook . Soak it in water for 3-4 hrs. Remove water , rinse and add chopped onion, turmeric, red chili, cumin-coriander powders, hing, little cumin seeds, salt ,oil and water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. It needs very little water so be careful.
- Am sure everyone knows how to make puri.
- Sprinkle little salt and roasted cumin powder on ras just when you are ready to eat. You can also add dry ginger powder also called soonth powder,this is specially for older ppl with gas trouble . Salt and cumin powder is must. It takes ras to that next heaven level.
- This last step is must…if you had this as your meal, you need to go for a walk.
- Enjoy meal and walk !