- I don’t know who named this dal “Chevati dal” and why. “Chevati” doesn’t mean anything in gujarati. Also I haven’t seen anyone making it except in my community. Thought it would be a good idea to share with rest of the world b/c it’s really tasty.
- Pressure cook 3 part urad dal with 1 part tuvar dal. Add a drop of oil while cooking else lot of water will come out from pressure cook when whistle goes off.
- Add paste of ginger, garlic, red chili powder,cumin coriander powder, turmeric, salt and mix it well. Add water depending on how thin you want. It should neither be too thick nor too thin.
- Now seasoning is the trick here. Heat tbsp of oil and add chopped few cloves of garlic. When it turns brown, add dal mixture.Make sure you don’t burn garlic else it won’t taste good. Boil for few mins.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it with a slice of lemon.
- Add little garam masala on the top while serving. You can add few curry leaves too while dal is boiling.
- Every saturday or most of the saturday, this is the dinner in my community.
- Urad dal is eaten to please lord Saturn on saturday. If you eat only 1 time on saturday, have this as dinner to pacify lord saturn.