- Gujarati dal dhokari is a good combination of protein and wheat.
- Cook tuvar dal in pressure cooker. Heat oil and add mustard seeds, hing and add boiled tuvar dal. Add water and mix it well. Add ginger paste, greem chilli paste, turmeric,salt, lemon juice and jaggery. Dal is sweet and sour. So add jaggery and lemon juice well.
- For dough, take whole wheat or roti flour. Add salt, little oil , ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric and red chilli powder. Dough needs to have little spices for dal dhokari.
- Keep dough little tight so you don’t need extra flour to make roti from it. Brush little oil if dough is sticking.
- Roll rotis as thin as possible , cut it into diamonds and add it to boiled dal. Stir everytime you add diamonds else it will all stick together. Also make sure dal is boiling when you are adding diamonds.
- Once all diamonds are added to dal, add water if needed, check salt, sweet sour ration and then close the lid and cook for 10-15 mins until all diamonds are cooked.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Add some peanuts to boiling dal to make it more filling.
- Serve with a side of simple salad of cucumber, carrot,cabbage etc.