Sometimes I get ideas to post here, and couldn’t rest until I get it out here. This sleep post is on mind for few days and couldn’t decide if I should post or not. And no, I didn’t loose sleep over it. Let’s see what we come up with.
- First , position of bed. Ayurveda recommends head should point to either east or south direction. And shouldn’t be pointing directly towards window or door because else prana will move pass you strongly. You can experiment with this if you have trouble with vivid dreams and not resting properly. Do what is possible and don’t loose sleep over it, if you are not able to change.
- Sleeping on the side is recommended not on back or stomach.
- If you are tossing and turning , then do few rounds of alternate breathing.
- Sometimes ppl become more restless with the idea that they are not able to sleep. In that case, just relax and tell yourself am just relaxing.
Enjoy blissful sleep !
Is it time to change for Fall? It’s been cold and rainy here now. Trees have started turning yellow, orange, red. Fall squashes, apples and pears on sale at grocery stores. Do we need more signs ? Am sure everyone got their fall color outfits, boots out. Why not update grocery list too and start including fall vegetables in diet?
Have you seen yogis,sanyasis wearing orange color clothes? Orange color is associated with detachment. And if you look around, you will see leaves also turning orange colors in fall when they are ready to fall off. That’s kind of detachment for trees too, that they have to let go of their wealth which is leaves. And trees still look very pretty in that yellow, orange, red colors.
- So, i started with spaghetti squash this fall and baked it for around 50 mins at 350-375F. Put cut squash facing up in bowl with little water in bowl so it doesn’t dry out.
- Get all spaghetti out.Use your hand, knife whatever you need. Does get little messy but spaghetti has to be messy else what’s the fun?
- It taste pretty good on its own too with little salt. Nice crunchy that you can eat as a side dish.
- Or add to your salad, soup or like me add into quesadilla.
- You can make curry out of it too. Add your favorite seasoning. Top it with little shredded coconut or coconut butter.
- Some earlier posts of Fall:
- Let’s fall into fall.
- Enjoy !
If you are looking for more protein breakfast, i think this is a good choice. Made it just like oatmeal and turned out pretty good. It’s very simple.
- Cook quinoa according to pkg direction.
- Add your favourite nuts, raisin, dates, craisin, figs whatever you like. No sugar.
- And sprinkle some cinnamon powder.
- Enjoy !
Lately, coconut oil, butter has been in news for its anti bacterial, anti viral properties, helps fight yeast infection and hence people are trying to include in the diet. Coconut butter and oil is different. Butter is with coconut fibers. It’s just how peanut, almond butters are different from oil. Properties of butter and oil I would think stays similar. When you are trying to use it for some health,nutrition benefits, it’s better not heat it in my opinion. Heating destroys a lot of good stuff.
Here’s few ways to use coconut butter . You can use coconut oil instead too. May be use little less oil than butter.
- If you make indian curries, it’s easy. Add 1 tsp or tbsp after curry is done at the end. I have seen some traditional indian recipes where you add coconut oil at the end in the curry after switching off the stove. I wonder if that was done for health benefit on top of flavor. I added little bit coconut butter in my potato curry.
- Spread on some nice cracker or toast.
- Add in your oatmeal.
- Spread on roti or tortilla instead of butter, oil.
- Add to your veggie rice.
Hope you got the idea.
Coconut is offered to god and used in religious activities in india. Coconut is the only fruit if am not wrong which grows in salty soil but gives back sweet water. Something to learn from coconut tree.
When you have big avocado to use and too much mint growing in pot, what do you do? You make minty avocado chutney. I thought I came up with novel idea but there are always ppl who have done it. Here’s a link to wonderful recipe:
I changed it just a little bit. Had no cilantro and skipped ginger.
So here’s what I did:
- First pound some garlic, green chili and fresh mint leaves.
- Add avocado and pound little more.
- Add some lemon juice, cumin powder and salt. Done !
- If you like mint flavor, you will love this chutney. Use less or more mint depending on your liking but start with little. Pounding seems to be enhancing mint flavor.
- You can eat with chips, idli, dosa , spread on bread etc .
- Make it, eat it and wash the mortal and pestle. No storing.
- Enjoy !