First of all, you don’t need to be surti, gujarati or even indian to make this undhiyu. Basically it’s baked vegetables with spices and no matter how you will make it, it will taste out of the world. Just add little love meaning coconut and oil. :-)
Obviously i am not making it traditional way and it still tasted soo good that couldn’t wait to share with you all. In Gujarat, it’s a popular dish served in wedding and loaded with oil. But here we will make it healthier and easy. Idea is not mine but my friend R’s who made it when i visited her. She made it while we were chatting around kitchen table and i didn’t pay attention on how she did it. But i took picture after we finished half of it. Clear bowl undhiyu is her’s and i modified it to add some traditional spices.
- Vegetables you need: Potato, Sweet Potato, Papdi (Or use lima beans, snow peas), purple yam, firm raw banana, small eggplants
- To Make Spice Mixture: Chopped cilantro, green part of green garlic( I couldn’t find so added green of green onion), shredded fresh coconut, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chili paste, salt and just a little bit oil.
- Process: First start baking chopped potatoes, sweet potatoes and yam with salt since they take a while. I did at 375F for 15 mins probably and covered with foil. Add papdi with its lilva. While this all is baking, stuff small eggplants with spice mixture. Add stuffed eggplants and some spice mixture to your baking bowl. Mix everything well. Bake another 30 mins.
- Now stuff banana(leave skin on) with spice mixture and add to bowl with any remaining mixture.
- For seasoning: heat oil, add some ajamo(caraway seeds), hing and pour over vegetables. This seasoning will help with digestion and won’t cause gas.
- Bake another 15-20 mins or until everything is baked. I baked whole time covered with foil paper.
- When you remove foil paper, it will smell so good.
My friend served with mango ras and puri, the tradition way and it was very yummy. But you can have with roti and side of kadhi too like i did. Or just eat on its own.
You can add more ginger, garlic and spices according your taste. Also you can add sesame seeds, peanut powder with coconut in spice mixture. And yes, i skipped muthiya. But you can add them in baking and it will get cooked.
PS: Don’t forget to go for a walk after having this wonderful meal.
Does it sound exotic? Well, I have been doing ayurveda sessions for a while now and have done individual, for groups, at community centers etc. I tailor session depending upon time, place, group or ppl. I have done 1.5 hr session, seminar or presentation whatever you call it out of states too and have received a very good feedback. Everyone from 10 year to grandpa have enjoyed it and have been able to put things they learned during session in practice. Seminars I realized I can do anywhere in the world. I know am stretching it too far, but I can start with any place in usa.
If anyone is interested in arranging seminar “Ayurveda In Daily Life” for your company, community center or at your party too, send me email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and we can see how we can do it. All I need is projector, laptop and people who want to take care care of themselves , want to learn new things.
Spread the knowledge and earn some good karma.
Picture is of surabhi mudra which balances all elements in the body or you can say balances all 3 doshas. Try it out .
Well, who is not stressed? It’s just not work or outside. Most of the time, it’s more at home. Isn’t it? If you are thinking, i have a magic pill then no, i don’t. And there’s no way you can avoid all stress. So what can you do? Here’s few of my suggestions:
- Do something you enjoy everyday at least for 5 mins. It could be singing, painting, reading etc. Everyone can find 5 mins before going to bed. Or cut back 5 mins from your TV time to do something creative.
- 5 mins in the morning, close your eyes and sit down in silence. You can sit in your home temple, garden or any quite place in your home. Find a spot that you can use everyday and tell others to not disturb you for 5 mins and keep same time everyday. That way it’s easier and becomes routine.
- Take a walk in nature. Now don’t go around town looking for a nice place and stress yourself out. It could be just your community. Check out landscapes or watch moon, stars or listen to chirping birds.
- Once a month, get massage or acupuncture or whatever you enjoy.
- Have a few hobbies. It’s a good time to start working on garden now. It’s wonderful to see things growing no matter how small. It doesn’t need so much work as many ppl think. I love to visit my small garden everyday after work in summer.
- Whatever you do, enjoy. Find a way to have fun !
So idea is not to let things build up. Reset everything everyday, every weekend and month. And make sure your bowel is moving everyday too or eat some prunes. :-)
Pictures are from the Portland japanese garden in Oregon where i visited a friend. And we had a wonderful time together. Friends are also stress buster. So spend time with friends and enjoy !
Thought I should share some of the authors I have read and enjoyed. See if anyone clicks to you. They have books on yoga, ayurveda, ancient sciences , natural healing or life.
- Swami Sivananda
- Swami Vishnudevananda
- B.K.S. Iyengar
- Dr Robert Svobda
- Dr David Frawley
- Dr Vasant Lad
- Deepak Chopra
- Paul Pitchford
- Last but not least my guru Pradip Bulsara who has 2 e-books on Apple.
- Way to learn ancient science or any , is of course you learn basic first, spend time with someone who knows it if possible, experiment , observe , share and meditate.