This is another simple sattvik curry you can make in few mins. You don’t need to spend hrs in kitchen to cook nourishing food. Little planning ahead is all needed.
- Boil sprouted Chana with a piece of ginger and add some salt half way. Cool until done. You can do this step while working or doing some other work.
- When time to eat, heat little olive oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, 1 torn red or green chili.
- Now add washed spinach leaves. Add boiled Chana without water and adjust salt. Cook only for a minute or 2 until spinach is wilted.
- Use left over Chana with water in soup or rasam.
- And yes, don’t forget to serve with fresh lemon. Will help with digestion.
- Simple sattvik curry ready !
- Enjoy !
*sattvik meaning nourishing food which will not agitate body or mind after eating.
Mudras are easy way to change energy and there’s a whole science with thousands of mudras. In some Tibet monasteries, have seen lots of mudra pictures. Also in traditional indian dances, they have lots of mudras. Have learned few basic ones that helps in day to day lives. Recently i made a frame of mudras for home yoga room. My thought behind is that some visitors may find it interesting and will want to try it. Let’s see how it goes. If nothing else, it will make an interesting conversation piece. People at photo center liked it very much and 1 person told me oh it’s a sign language. :-)
Alright, so the 1st picture is Hakini Mudra. All finger tips touching each other. When do you want to do it? That’s the interesting part. When you are in a boring meeting and starts day dreaming but need to be in a present moment, keep your hands in this mudra under the table or even on the table. No one will question you. Hakini mudra will help you stay aware in a moment and you will stop day dreaming. Believe me it works. Yep, have tried in my boring meetings.
Check my earlier posts abt more mudras.
Other interesting project i have in my mind is making a calendar for next year. If you have liked any post on justlunchideas, that you feel should make an entry on calendar, do share. And if you would like to have calendar for yourself or to gift friends, family, let me know. Only for USA.
ps: If you know palmistry, do not try to read my hand. :-)
Are you looking for a guru? Then probably you haven’t heard this indian saying “When you are ready, guru finds you.” Your guru might be around you next door and you wouldn’t even know or you are not ready to accept.
Best guru on planet earth is “Breath”. Stay with your breath and it will teach you everything you need to learn, will guide you and will be with you all the time as long as you are alive of course.
So stay with your breath, see how your guru/breath is on this guru purnima.
Let’s get back to food and recipes again. Indian cooking uses lot of potatoes but now a days people try to stay away from potatoes for different reasons. Cabbage with potato is a very popular dish but it taste great with beans too and you will have some protein in a dish. Here’s how I made it:
- Heat oilve oil, add some cumin seeds, 1 torn red or green chili , few curry leaves.
- Add shredded cabbage, cooked beans and salt.
- Sauté for 2-3 mins. You don’t want to overlook cabbage and kill all nutrition.
- It’s summer time and very hot so kept spices to minimum and it tasted good.
- You can use any beans you like. I added small red chori. Chickpeas go really well too if you are not sure. Be creative and try different beans to come up with new flavor.
- Reminder – chew your food well. Each bite 32 times until it becomes liquid.
- Enjoy !
Ayurveda is ancient indian healing science if you didn’t know. Our body is made of 5 elements earth, water, fire, air and ether. Ayurveda divided 5 elements in 3 forces Vata (air+ether), Pitta(fire+water) and Kapha(earth+water). As long as all 3 forces are in harmony, we are healthy both physically and mentally.
Prakruti meaning nature and we generally lean more towards 1 of three forces. And that’s the one generally goes out of balace first, creating related problems. So it’s good to know what your prakruti is so that you can take care of yourself better and you know what your weaknesses and strengths are both mentally and physically.
When vata, pitta or kapha goes out of balance, it’s called dosha. And it’s easier to bring it back into balance, harmony in the initial stage.
For example, i am vata-pitta. 1 of my weakness being vata is i can get confused or cannot make up my mind. When i like something like some dress and if i like 2 colors, i will have a very hard time selecting one. But knowing it has helped me and am more aware. Other vata problems I get into is constipation, dry skin, dry cough. Knowing it ,has helped me avoid or I know how to fix right away.
So if you do not know your ayurvedic prakruti, see if there’s anyone around you who knows ayurveda and can help you find your prakruti.
Once you know your prakruti, you will be able to work with yourself little better.